What should I add?

Will_R

Bass player, apparently
I know this is one of these questions where everyone will say, dont look to add anything if you dont need it.

Well, im just looking around at things really, i'd like to add a few bits and pieces to my studio.

Ive currently got a presonus firepod, presonus eureka and m-audio tampa.

Im thinking about making a DIY preamp at some point. And i'll also be adding some front panel connectivity.

Im also looking at some lower end stereo compressors/gates.

Is there anything that would be useful that im missing right now? Enhancers? EQs?

Just any ideas, fire them away :)

I know this is one of these questions where everyone will say, dont look to add anything if you dont need it.

Well, im just looking around at things really, i'd like to add a few bits and pieces to my studio.

Ive currently got a presonus firepod, presonus eureka and m-audio tampa.

Im thinking about making a DIY preamp at some point. And i'll also be adding some front panel connectivity.

Im also looking at some lower end stereo compressors/gates.

Is there anything that would be useful that im missing right now? Enhancers? EQs?

Just any ideas, fire them away :)
How's your room acoustics? I'd suggest adding acoustic treatment before any new equipment.

Accoustic treatment isnt something i can really do properly right now, going to be moving twice within the next 6 months or so :(

It will be done when i've got a bit of a more settled location tho!

Accoustic treatment isnt something i can really do properly right now, going to be moving twice within the next 6 months or so :(

It will be done when i've got a bit of a more settled location tho!
Ohh you're from Dundee. You at Uni? I'm from Prestwick, near Ayr.

I'd still say acoustic treatment is a must have. More-so than a new pre, FX, etc. You could build portable acoustic panels.

some dynamic mics.

I should have mentioned about mics, but didnt think as it was in the rack bit.

Ive got 3 ultra cheap behringer dynamics, that sound very very similar to SM57s when you take off the windshield, they have some more handling noise, but when used to mic a cab they sound fine. Tho i probably will add an SM57 to the stable sooner or later.

Ive also got a chinease ribbon mic which im pretty fond off, and have my eyes on a LD condensor :)

Ohh you're from Dundee. You at Uni? I'm from Prestwick, near Ayr.

I'd still say acoustic treatment is a must have. More-so than a new pre, FX, etc. You could build portable acoustic panels.

Aye, ive always lived near dundee, just doing the final year of my degree. Trying to think if i know anyone down in your direction, im sure i do, just cant rememebr who :p , always goot bumping into a fellow scot on the net :) I'll look into some panels and some office dividers to mount them on :)

I should have mentioned about mics, but didnt think as it was in the rack bit.

Ive got 3 ultra cheap behringer dynamics, that sound very very similar to SM57s when you take off the windshield, they have some more handling noise, but when used to mic a cab they sound fine. Tho i probably will add an SM57 to the stable sooner or later.

Ive also got a chinease ribbon mic which im pretty fond off, and have my eyes on a LD condensor :)

Aye, ive always lived near dundee, just doing the final year of my degree. Trying to think if i know anyone down in your direction, im sure i do, just cant rememebr who :p , always goot bumping into a fellow scot on the net :) I'll look into some panels and some office dividers to mount them on :)
There is a couple Scots in on this site. I just found out a few days ago that i know Ecktronic from a club we both go to.

Wot course you doing?

Down at the studio building and display forum, you'll get a load of info about acoustic panels.

I used to have 3pack of behringer dynamics. They were ok, but I sold them and bought some SM57(mb75) and 58(mb85 beta) copies from Thomann, which are much better.

Only people you'll probably know from here is Biffy Clyro and the MacDonald Brothers(went to my school :p).

Im doing Biochem, thankfully its almost over!

I looked at those copies, i also looked around, and they were pretty variable tone-wise, but i am still considering them.

The ribbon mic ive got is a thomann one, and i got my desk from them, im quite fond of that german seller :p (http://www.thomann.de/index.html?partner_id=97926&page=gb/the_tbone_rm700.htm)

And wow, big known folk eh ;) , only famousish person i know of from this rough area is KT Tunstall

Im doing Biochem, thankfully its almost over!

I looked at those copies, i also looked around, and they were pretty variable tone-wise, but i am still considering them.

The ribbon mic ive got is a thomann one, and i got my desk from them, im quite fond of that german seller :p (http://www.thomann.de/index.html?partner_id=97926&page=gb/the_tbone_rm700.htm)

And wow, big known folk eh ;) , only famousish person i know of from this rough area is KT Tunstall
KT is pretty famous herself, lol. There also a guy on WWE that went to my school too. He's called Drew McIntyre on the show(he just recently joined), but his real name is Drew Galloway. They said he's from Ayr(true) in the Highlands of Scotland, haha.

Yeah, I've heard that they are pretty variable too. I haven't had a chance to A/B mine yet, but they all sound pretty good to me. How is that Ribbon, 'cause i was thinking of getting it, or one of the other t.bone ribbons.

I love Thomann. It's amazing how cheap some of their stuff is(granted when the Euro is doing well, the prices can be quite high compared to UK retailers), and how they can ship it from Germany for free(if you spend over £140).

They have really good customer services as well, if anything goes wrong.

KT is pretty famous herself, lol. There also a guy on WWE that went to my school too. He's called Drew McIntyre on the show(he just recently joined), but his real name is Drew Galloway. They said he's from Ayr(true) in the Highlands of Scotland, haha.

Yeah, I've heard that they are pretty variable too. I haven't had a chance to A/B mine yet, but they all sound pretty good to me. How is that Ribbon, 'cause i was thinking of getting it, or one of the other t.bone ribbons.

I love Thomann. It's amazing how cheap some of their stuff is(granted when the Euro is doing well, the prices can be quite high compared to UK retailers), and how they can ship it from Germany for free(if you spend over £140).

They have really good customer services as well, if anything goes wrong.

I read in the papers about the guy in the WWE a few months back, a few people i know about here are in the more local wrestling groups and knew him. Ah Aye, that place in the highlands indeed, not too far from the borders :p

I really like the ribbon mic, apparently the one up (same as a Nady) is really good too, but i was put off by the fact it had an attatched cable. But ive also heard they are pretty variably too. Im thinking about getting the SC450 condensor from them :)

And aye, i know what your saying about the shipping! The stuff i got came on a pallet! (was about £300 worth of gear including the desk), and it was free postage, and aye, ive had great experiences with the service :)

When i was looking at ribbon mics they suggested i could buy a few, and just return the ones i didnt like keeping the one i did like (aslong as i didnt bash them about). :D

I read in the papers about the guy in the WWE a few months back, a few people i know about here are in the more local wrestling groups and knew him. Ah Aye, that place in the highlands indeed, not too far from the borders :p

I really like the ribbon mic, apparently the one up (same as a Nady) is really good too, but i was put off by the fact it had an attatched cable. But ive also heard they are pretty variably too. Im thinking about getting the SC450 condensor from them :)

And aye, i know what your saying about the shipping! The stuff i got came on a pallet! (was about £300 worth of gear including the desk), and it was free postage, and aye, ive had great experiences with the service :)

When i was looking at ribbon mics they suggested i could buy a few, and just return the ones i didnt like keeping the one i did like (aslong as i didnt bash them about). :D
Yeah the 30-day money back guarantee, and 3 year thomann warranty. So good!

The biggest/heaviest things I've bought from them was probably either the stage monitors or drumkit. Very happy with the service.

Was it the RB100 you've heard is good? I was thinking of getting either that or the one you have. I have a pair of SC300s, which are decent for drum overheads/acoustic guitar. I'm also thinking of getting the SCT-700 tube mic, once i have some money.

Another thing, they have some pretty cheap cables and stands. I've never had a problem with them. They are very good for the price. The have dearer cables too, which you can tell are better quality, but still pretty cheap.

Also, drumkits! Jr £97, Starter £110! Then a decent kit for gigging(don't mind it being bashed around) for £153(can be bundled to upgrade to a double bass kit, with 3toms and 2floor toms for £233.36 total. Probs the cheapest ever!)

Nice score on the drums! Im actually considering getting thier own branded e-drum kit when i have some more money and space! :D

It was the RB500 that i'd heard was good, if you get the RB100 i'd love to know how you find it, i was originally going to get one, but was put off by it being the cheapest. Ive been looking at the tube mics too, ive been leaning towards the SCT800, ive read loads of good reviews about that mic :)

Ive got a number of thier cables, and will be getting more with my next order :)

Im also a fan of the guitar stuff, tho i havent bought any yet, im planning on buying the G212 Vintage, £130ish for a 2x12 loaded with V30s! Im quite interested in the GA5 H too, basically a cheaper version of the Valve Jr (same circuit board apparently).

Ahhh, if only i won the lotto, id have a bloomin massive thomann order on the way!

Nice score on the drums! Im actually considering getting thier own branded e-drum kit when i have some more money and space! :D

It was the RB500 that i'd heard was good, if you get the RB100 i'd love to know how you find it, i was originally going to get one, but was put off by it being the cheapest. Ive been looking at the tube mics too, ive been leaning towards the SCT800, ive read loads of good reviews about that mic :)

Ive got a number of thier cables, and will be getting more with my next order :)

Im also a fan of the guitar stuff, tho i havent bought any yet, im planning on buying the G212 Vintage, £130ish for a 2x12 loaded with V30s! Im quite interested in the GA5 H too, basically a cheaper version of the Valve Jr (same circuit board apparently).

Ahhh, if only i won the lotto, id have a bloomin massive thomann order on the way!
They have a couple of e-drumkits. I bought the cheapest full-sized for a friend at the start of the year. It was pretty good for the price.

I'd love the double bass kit to fuck around on, lol. Absolutely skint at the moment though.

Yeah, i was a bit put off by being the cheapest too. I think i'll give it a go though. It'll be my first ribbon mic.

Yeah the SCT800 looks really good. I'd love to get one, or even the stereo pair :D, but I gotta try and keep costs down as much as possible, at least while i get going.

GA5H(only 5watt??) and G212 bundle for £137. Looks good. The G212 vintage looks good too. I'm not really a guitarist though :p

I found a couple ways to improve your chances at the lotto a few nights ago, haha.

Thats the kit i was looking at aswell :)

Nothing wrong with keeping costs down, im trying to do the same, its just not working well, and this 0% student overdraft is just too tempting :p

5 watts is louder than you'd think ;) , I emailed them and they gave me an offer with the GA5H and G212 vintage for about £15 cheaper than it would have been to buy seperatly :) .

Im not a guitarist either really, bass is my house instrument

Please tell me! I need money!

Thats the kit i was looking at aswell :)

Nothing wrong with keeping costs down, im trying to do the same, its just not working well, and this 0% student overdraft is just too tempting :p

5 watts is louder than you'd think ;) , I emailed them and they gave me an offer with the GA5H and G212 vintage for about £15 cheaper than it would have been to buy seperatly :) .

Im not a guitarist either really, bass is my house instrument

Please tell me! I need money!
Yeh, I just finished my education, so no more student bursaries etc that paid for a lot of my equipment. I gotta get my business set up as cheap as possible and as soon as possible to get some money coming in.

Yeah, i suppose, If it's a good amp and speaker then 5watts can be pretty loud. 80watt is, theoretically, 10dB(audibly double the volume) louder than 5watts. But if both amp and speaker is better at 1w than the 80w at 1w, then this won't be true.

Ok, with the lotto thing, you gotta get together with some friends. There's a couple ways. One you guarantee at least 1 number, meaning you only need to pick 5. You do this buy grouping with another 43 people and choose the same 5 numbers, with the 6th number on each ticket 1 of the 44 remaining numbers. eg first five numbers 1,2,3,4,5, so the first person has these and 6, 2nd these and 7, and so on. So are guarateed 1 number on a few of the tickets. This makes winning a lot easier, ie pick 3 of the 5, and you get 3x4numbers=probs around £180 and 41x3s= £410. So £590, split between the 44 of you. You get more than £10 each, for just picking 3 correct numbers. This dramatically increases picking 4, 4 and the bonus, and 5. One guy i heard of that did this, got four numbers and the bonus. He had his own ticket, and the syndicate ticket. On his own with the 4 numbers he got £59, in the syndicate, 'cause he had 5 numbers at the bonus, he got over £7k.

Another way, but i'm yet to understand how it works, it to group with 17 people. Write out all 49 numbers and put them in a hat. get each to pick 6 numbers and put into a 2nd hat, after 8 people there will be one number left, which forms the 9th persons ticket, then they pick their remaining 5 from the second hat. This goes on until every one has 6 numbers. This means that you have all the numbers at least twice, a couple you have 3 times. This greatly improves your chances as a group. Actually a group won the jackpot with this method.

I thought of a way to improve this further. Start with three hats, in the first numbers 1-17, second 18-33, and third 34-49, and do as above. Imo, this improves your chances even further, although i can't prove it yet :p

All things being equal 5 watts will be 12dB quieter than 80 watt (going by my math anyways).

10 watts is 3dB louder than 5 watts
20 watts is 3dB louder than 10 watts
40 watts is 3dB louder than 20 watts
80 watts is 3dB louder than 40 watts.

But again, as you say, its all dependant, ive seen some people registering closer to 12 watts from those little amps. When you throw in things like speaker cab sensitivity etc, number of speakers and all that, your in a whole new field!

Thanks for the lottory tips! Im trying to avoid syndicates tho, maybe i should start one up and run off if we win any money!

Whats your education in?

All things being equal 5 watts will be 12dB quieter than 80 watt (going by my math anyways).

10 watts is 3dB louder than 5 watts
20 watts is 3dB louder than 10 watts
40 watts is 3dB louder than 20 watts
80 watts is 3dB louder than 40 watts.

But again, as you say, its all dependant, ive seen some people registering closer to 12 watts from those little amps. When you throw in things like speaker cab sensitivity etc, number of speakers and all that, your in a whole new field!

Thanks for the lottory tips! Im trying to avoid syndicates tho, maybe i should start one up and run off if we win any money!

Whats your education in?
Thinking about it, you're right. I made a mistake. Don't know how i did that :confused:

I got confused with something else i think. It's a 50w amp that 10dB louder than 5w.

Syndicates are good, in that they greatly improve your chance of winning. But they do greatly reduce your winnings, lol. Although you can win more in the syndicate than on your own, like i showed.

I got an HND in music & audio technology.

Back