What "Lightpipe" pres do you guys prefer?

What "Lightpipe Pre" option would you choose?

• Behringer ADA8000

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Presonus Digimax LT

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Presonus Digimax FS

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Alesis AI3 and External Pre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Focusrite Octopre/Octopre LE

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
This thread was showing up as having a new post a day ago. ???

Weird!

Anyway, for something a little more on topic, I think I'm going to go with the Digimax FS, if nothing else simply because its 96k and one day, specifically when I get my Apogee AD16, it will make a great headphone send. :) IE, I can use it further past the present.

Master plan is to eventually get an M-Audio FireBridge with an Apogee AD16 for inputs and the Digimax FS for outs. :)

I know this post is over a year old, and to be honest I'm pretty sure I'm getting a Mackie Universal Control as I'm tired of mousing mixes (especially after being on a Duality ;) ) and I'm taking a mixing class this semester. However, I'm pretty sure the Digimax FS is in second place, right in front of monitors, new mics, and everything else. :D

Brandon

360 pound will grab you the MOTU 8pre brand new, thats my personal favourite for really well priced all round good conversion.
Otherwise id go for the RME octamic D 2 or whatever its called
The new octamic with the Digital conversion expansion on it.
Aviv

I use RME-Audio octamic 2 with no problems as well as the FF800.

at the same time if set up with a computer and Alesis HD24 ADAT.

can use the octamic to go to both units the FF800 on the main out put. and the AUX output to the HD24. with not problems. Use this for mobile recording. In case computer crashes I still have the show.

Last edited:
What's worse is that I still haven't bought one yet. :D

Still leaning toward the FS, though. Eventually I'll do Apogee.

Brandon

I was about to vote, then I realized I already did. I voted "OTHER", but do not remember why. :confused:

I say Focusrite ISA428.

LOL... I was actually thinking just the other day "I wonder what people meant when they voted 'other'?"

Now I know they can't remember. :D

I will say, though, that I titled the thread wrong. I'm really looking for converters, but in the price range I'm starting in most of them also have integrated mic pres, too. ;)

What are the ISA's like? My goal is eventually to have 8 channels of INA217 based pres (DIY'd... I've got 2 channels now and they're GREAT! Very, very clean and inexpensive. Hooked them up to an AudioPrecision testing station and it tested great... very flat and low THD for a nice poor-man's Millenia :D ) for go-to pres and an SCA filled with a few goodies. :)

Brandon

LOL... I was actually thinking just the other day "I wonder what people meant when they voted 'other'?"

Now I know they can't remember. :D

I will say, though, that I titled the thread wrong. I'm really looking for converters, but in the price range I'm starting in most of them also have integrated mic pres, too. ;)

What are the ISA's like? My goal is eventually to have 8 channels of INA217 based pres (DIY'd... I've got 2 channels now and they're GREAT! Very, very clean and inexpensive. Hooked them up to an AudioPrecision testing station and it tested great... very flat and low THD for a nice poor-man's Millenia :D ) for go-to pres and an SCA filled with a few goodies. :)

Brandon

I had the ISA428 for awhile and it sounded very clean. The main reson I bought it was because I was going to digital, but my workflow changed and it no longer fit my setup. I think it is a great pre for the money.

Where can we find more about the INA217?

Here's my thread from where I built mine a while back: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=264624&highlight=ina217

Good stuff!

I built mine literally exactly by the data sheet. It is a great, great go-to preamp that is VERY clean. With the FiveFish power supply I used, I think I can power something like 16 or more channels if I don't get fancy with the circuits (such as signal meters, although I'd like to add a peak LED to mine). I'm planning on building 6 more channels and racking them up into a single space chassis (which is why I got the FiveFish power supply... their torroid is designed to fit in a 1 space chassis).

Can't go wrong with them! After you pay for the power supply and chassis, they should only cost around $8 a channel or so.

Brandon

Back