What In The Hell Do You Guys Know About Equipment??????

czar of bizarre

hey i made that title just so i can get you guys to look. nothing more so dont be offended. it was done with grace style :)

i have some questions i need answered so i came to the right place.

1. are behringer products "quality" for a project studio or do they SUCK?

2. besides the presonus blue tube can i get a nice tube pre amp that has two inputs for under $250?

3.are samson S.COM rack units "QUALITY"?

4.does the BBE 482 sonic maximizer "work" or is it a waste of cash?

5. will i need a patch bay to hook this all up????

6. can one of you please buy these things for me? i promise to NEVER pay it back. lol

im serious on the first 5 questions guys. any help, tips, info or do's and donts are appreciated.

czar

Before we all get into a brand loyalty flame war, let's set some rules. Bargain prices do not equate to studio quality electronics. Are we clear on that?

Good, because I like Behringer gear because it puts stuff on the market that we wouldn't see otherwise, and I'm cheap as hell, and I know it won't sound like a Neve, and I know I should save my money and get something better.
-------------

Problem is, I save my money and use it to pay a Christley big mortgage I took out when the market was up...:D

first off, unless on a VERY EXTREMELY TIGHT budget, Behringer mixers are out.....there compressors are pretty good, I have an Autocom Pro and it is quite usable.....

outside of that, i think its best if you enquire about specific Behringer products you may be interested in....its hard to make a blanket statement, as some of their stuff is good and some is trash.....

Ok, my humble opinion to follow.
Behringer compressors are ok. IMHO, there mixers leave much to be desired.
The Bluetube is a nice pre.
BBE sonic maximizers are a waste of money. I'd take the money you'd have blown on that and tag it on your mic pre budget and upgrade.
A patch bay is a must (at least for me it is). Once you work with one you'll wonder how you survived without one.
OK, who do I make the check out to?
:D

The following are strictly my personal opinion so take no offense.

1. Depends what model of Behringer you're talking about. The Composer is decent. Their mixers blow goats. I've got an old Ultragain (before they stuck tubes that don't do much in them) and I like it quite a bit. As for the rest of their products...I can't comment because I haven't used anything else of theirs.

2. I've got a BlueTube. I like it for some things. As far as your question goes though I'd say that the only way you'll get something "nice" with 2 channels and a tube that actually does something is to look for something used. If you'll settle for "sorta nice" I'd look for an Aphex 107 but I can't comment on whether the tube actually does anything or not because I haven't used one yet (plan on getting one someday).

3. no

4. waste of cash

5. Depends on how much stuff you've got. If you're just starting out and don't have a ton of stuff I'd say no. But eventually you will. It is inevitable and completely unavoidable.

6. Definately not. :) Being a complete cheap gearwhore I can't justify spending any money on any gear that won't be sitting in my rack unused by anybody other than myself.

The only piece of behringer gear that I own and have worked with for a little while is the ecm8000 omni codenser. Its a great mic. Very effective as overheads....smooth, clear, honest, handles transients beautifully and picks up the low end from across the room. Its nice on acoustic guitar. You could probably put 2 of these in a room and mic a band and have a solid live recording just from that. A very useful all around balanced mic that is accurate and open sounding. ALL for $40!!!!

I'd say a definite yes on the patch bay except that I don't think you'll need it if you skip on the rest of that crap...

hey i made that title just so i can get you guys to look. nothing more so dont be offended. it was done with grace style :)

2. besides the presonus blue tube can i get a nice tube pre amp that has two inputs for under $250?

6. can one of you please buy these things for me? i promise to NEVER pay it back. lol

Love the title of the thread! Here's a few thoughts:

1. They suck for the most part.

2. No

3. No

4. Yes, but only if you know what you are doing. It's something you buy after you have everything else (and then you probably don't need it).

5. Yes

6. You're very funny.

"Quality" gear starts at around $750-1,000 per channel of audio, no matter what type of equipment it is.

"Good value" gear starts at about "$250-400 per channel no matter what type of gear it is.

"Bargain basement" disposable junk is anything under those prices.

im serious on the first 5 questions guys. any help, tips, info or do's and donts are appreciated.

czar

SA is right on the first five. As for no. 6, give me your bank account number and I put cash right in there to buy it for you...hehehe!

equipment

FIRST you get the sound you pay for, yes a NEVE chanle strip will sound much better than a berenger but there is a happy middle ground between 100$ and 1200$

1. some of there stuff is better than others. its not great. i tend to stay away form them when it comes to any thing involving the actual tone of my track for example there head phone amp is not bad for the price and any thing else like that but allot of there processors sound very digital.

2. not as far as i know but then again a good preamp is going to cost you

3. idk i have never worked with one but i have heard ok things about them and have been considering buying one. they make the only nice 4 channle comp that fits in 1ru

4. i use a BBE in my live rig and it works nicely. if you are referring to the stereo unit yes it is probably a waste of money i use mine to replace what all my rack units suck out of my sound and to tell the truth when i have my amp up at like 4-7 it works nicely but in the studio i almost never use it find no need in the master stereo unit. however it can do some subtle things but over all a waste of money.

5. yes if you plan to be switching the order of things and what you are using but if you are setting up a straight chain of processors in to say a mixer for just your guitar or what ever then no you dont. a good set of patch cables will work fine.

Anyone notice this thread is 6 years old, bumped up by a (incompetent) spammer? :D
To set the record straight here, it looks like dragon has deleted the posts of the spammer that bumped this thread. Since MOFO Pro has the first post after 2001, it looks like he bumped it and I'm calling him a spammer.

NOT SO.

(And thanks to cellardwellar for calling my attention to this. :))

To set the record straight here, it looks like dragon has deleted the posts of the spammer that bumped this thread. Since MOFO Pro has the first post after 2001, it looks like he bumped it and I'm calling him a spammer.

NOT SO.

(And thanks to cellardwellar for calling my attention to this. :))
Thanks Doc... I've been called worse

I wonder how the Czar is doing after all this time? Who knows may he'll be chiming in again soon wondering about a iZ Radar V system he's jonesing over?

Back