What exactly is wrong with Behringer brand mixers?

I think the old analogy comes to play. You don't buy a Dodge Caliber to drag race. You don't buy a Behringer board to produce radio ready music. But you can learn to drive in a Caliber...
When you're ready to step up to the plate and get in the "game" contact people in the know (like HERE!) You could spend a lot of time and money on tubular frame design and construction, Donovan blocks, ported heads, etc. etc. and not be good at racing. So be happy with your board and learn and thrive and keep up the dream. When the faders crackle and the output fades you'll find a new system...and quite possibly Behringer will have a better quality line and you can still be a "brand follower" kind of guy! :thumbs up:

:D One of the best bass I ever played professionally was from a Swedish company called Headway (the best was a 72 issue Alembic). The guitar was brilliant, but the electronics were touchy, used batteries FAST, etc. Then Headway sold to a Japanese company and the electronics improved, but the quality of the guitar turned to dust... If I could just have gotten the electronics out of a Japanese and put them in my Swedish bass, I'd probably still have it. I've said that just to say, the old Behringer that we loved in the 70s and 80s when it was made in Germany is not the same Behringer you buy today. As was said earlier, the reason they still sell is because people remember the name, and the quality of the earlier company. Ask any Harley lover about the original issue of AMF Harleys... :D

As was said earlier, the reason they still sell is because people remember the name, and the quality of the earlier company.
I'll stake my life on this; most people {myself included} buy or have bought Behringer stuff because of the price. Until this thread came along, I didn't even know Behringer had a good rep way back when and I bet lots of others didn't, either.

I'll stake my life on this; most people {myself included} buy or have bought Behringer stuff because of the price. Until this thread came along, I didn't even know Behringer had a good rep way back when and I bet lots of others didn't, either.

I'm as old as the hills and I don't remember Behringer ever having a particularly good rep.

However, talking about "Behringer" in general is a bit of a a pointless exercise. Some of their stuff is a bit dodgy but they also produce some darn good stuff.

For example, the speaker management system (DCX2496) is a great little product. To get the same facilities and quality from other manufacturers, you have to spend 2 or 3 times the cost.

Similarly, their first venture into digital mixers (DDX3216) was well though of by most users (and it's withdrawal from the market--brought about by changes to European recycling legislation--was moaned by many. Their new digital board, the x32, is getting rave reviews everywhere.

I've had 4 ADA8000s for almost 9 years now and (tempting fate) haven't had a single problem. The mic pres get a bit noisy above the 3 o'clock position on the trim but planning my gain staging stops this from being.

....and so on.

Their very first strings of compressors are still very highly sot after on the bay.

I own 2 of them, the original composers, they are very good and still work faultlessly. I also have an original Ultrafex 2 Enhancer that I bought around the same time, these must be 15 to 18 years old by now.

alan.

Back