What engineers do, with the signal that comes from di-boxes, in the mixing board?

underp

I'm not sure if i understand correctly.

Di-boxes split the signal in two. 1 Signal goes to my pedals/amp, and the other goes to the mixing board right ? .

So... why would they want to rec a signal, that is not processed ? :)

Typically to re-amp it later if it is needed during mixdown.

Some engineers use modeled amps in their DAW's.

Sort of a "safety" to have the original DI for these reasons.

War

But what exactly is people listening ?

the miced amps? or di-box signal processed with other equipment ?

You have two signals going to the Mulitrack one dry and one from the mic on the amp. If the performance was good but the settings on the amp where bad for the mix. You don't need the guitar player to play the track again. Just send the dry signal back to the amp make the corrections and record again.

hhmm... maybe this is just me being stupid, but wouldn't that sound like 'a pre-recorded DI'd being played back through an amp' rather than a 'guitar being played properly through an amp' kinda thing? or does it still sound like the real thing, if that makes sense?

i'm confused... :p

Andy

Just as often (or more) they're used as a split when the source signal is exactly what you want, like off a keyboard or bass, and the amp is either a separate tone/option to be miced, or is simply in the roll of the musician's monitor.
Wayne

mixsit said:
...or is simply in the roll of the musician's monitor.

In fact, is only the reason, that i think make sense.

But if that's correct.... what are engineers doing with that signal ?, i mean... they're using the same hardware of the musician to process the signal ? or they're using software, to send a more accurate sound to my ears ?

my english is bad :D so...

Sometimes they send the dry signal to a different amp than the one that was used in the first place. Sometimes they use both the original and the new amp. Sometimes the dry signal is sent to a POD or a software plug in that does the same thing as a POD. There is no one thing that everyone does with the DI signal. Some of us don't use the DI at all.

one of the main uses for DIs is live sound. The FOH engineer takes the line off the DI for the main mix, amp is mainly for the player onstage. The signal from the DI is usually very clean and you dont have to worry about bleed over. I also used a DI along with the mic for the bass. it all depends on what you are needing.

No big deal, just wondering, is this a case of looking (or did a search?) for the question- to answer, or..?

Congratulations! You are the Necro-post of the week! The last post in this thread was 9 years ago.

It's not a big deal, just having a little fun at your expense.

But what exactly is people listening ?

the miced amps? or di-box signal processed with other equipment ?

Depends on what works best.

hhmm... maybe this is just me being stupid, but wouldn't that sound like 'a pre-recorded DI'd being played back through an amp' rather than a 'guitar being played properly through an amp' kinda thing? or does it still sound like the real thing, if that makes sense?

i'm confused... :p

The DI signal is the sound of what's coming out of your guitar before it hits your amp. Whether you feed that signal to the amp straight from a guitar or from a playback machine, the sound coming from the amp should be identical (assuming that output impedance and levels match).

Back