What do you think of the Tascam DV-RA1000HD Master Recorder ?

Hi,

A friend of mine and myself are willing to make high quality transfers of 78 records and magnetic tapes (mono and stereo in 2/4 tracks). We may also transfer vinyl records of classical music but right now the priority is on 78s and tapes.

We heard of this Tascam AD converter and we basically need to record in 24-bit 192KHz, be able to make CDs from the digital masters, burn DVDs with 24bit 192KHz sound that are playable either on the machine itself, or on a computer (which would really be nice). We also need to backup our digital masters on DVD. External hard drive ability would be best.

I just read how important clock quality and accuracy was, and I wanted to know your opinion on this model, or what you would recommend. We're not a studio nor willing to make commercial products, but we really insist on two points:
- Best sound quality in the best digital format
- Easiest and safest backup features

Thanks,

David.

Save yourself a ton of money and pick up an Alesis Masterlink... ($800 new) It'll do what you need... (but not necessarily what you want)
Burns CDs, records at 24 bit up to 96 kHz to an internal hard-drive, and has some simple (though effective) master tools built right in...

I can't for the life of me understand why you'd record 78's or cassettes at 192 kHz... there's nothing from the original recordings that would require anything close to that... 16 / 44.1 would be overkill (but that's the standard)

1) I agree for the most part -- I'd go to 24 bit (at 44.1kHz), but I'm weird like that.

2) Not that the DRVA isn't the most bad-ass digital monster out there -- But if you're going to use it, go to DSD. That's what the beast was made for and it's wonderful at it.

3) But as wonderful as it is, the 24-bit AIFF files on a CD24 out of a Masterlink are much more of a "universal" format...

4) That all said, if you go with the ML9600, I found the converters to sound much better at 44.1kHz than they did at 96kHz anyway. And the SRC was less than stellar also. So, I stick with the 44.1/24-bit recommendation.

Use should use the best hardware you can get in conjunction with Waverepair. It is the ants' pants for vinyl & tape restoration software. Seriously. I've been using it for about 8 years< (free upgrades come annually) & the results, if you're preapred to take the time, are astounding.
Oh, the program itself records the source at the rate, depth etc required for CD quality reproduction - it will process any wave file that is 16 44 as well.

I would prefer the DVD RA by a vast margin. We own and use both. conversion on the masterlink doesnt measure up.

Back