What did I just do on eBay?!?! (Symetrix 522)

turnitdown

$10 PayPal=Your Ad Here!!
First off, my name is Neil, and I am addicted to eBay.... I just bought yet another piece of gear on eBay, because it "seemed like the right thing to do, and I was bored..." (I got to get a job that doesn't provide non-stop 'net access...)

Today's aquisition? A Symetrix 522 compressor/gate/ducker bla, blah, blah...

I could find almost nothing about them here or on Google, but I REALLY like my Symetrix sx202 mice pre's, so I thought this was a bargain too. (And I have an empty space glaring at me in one of my racks...)

Anyone have any experience w/ this unit?? How might it fare as a mild compressor for vocals prior to my A/D converters??? (to prvent digital clipping...)

The Symetrix site doesn't even offer a pdf of the manual for these anymore. :(

Would something like a dbx 266 or Aphex have been a better buy?

Oh, I know.... I just should have coughed up another $100 for the RNC... I'll get one of those later, after I find out that this is completely the wrong compressor for lightly compressing vocals....

Thanks for letting me vent...

stop freaking out.

symetrix compressors fucking rule. i have a 501, and up until a week ago a cl-150. they are GREAT for destroying drums. lots of great usable distortion.

also, when you dont push them they do a good clean and clear.

i USED to own an RNC, but i sold it cause i liked my cl-150 more. RNC does really nice hi-fi clear compression. so does my computer. but for free...

these cheap symetrix compressors sound COOL. much more valuable as far as i am concerned than sounding CLEAN.

Thanks for the "Verbal Valium" George... ;)

My concern is that I always buy stuff hoping to save a few bucks, (sometimes I score!), but most of the time I end up doing the two-step up to something better, that I should have gotten in the first place.

In this case, I think I need a clean
really nice hi-fi clear compression
compression to just increase the dynamic range of vocals to a digital sound card. (Delta 44)

I don't do real drums, so I'm still not sure if this will will work out. (BUT, for $100 bucks, I have made more expensive mistakes... it still won't be worth selling, even if I use it on bass instead of my DBX 166A...)

I use Waves compression once a track is in the computer, but need a hardware box that won't ruin the vocal getting there....

I'm not really stressing over this buy though... After all Father's Day is coming up!!! :D :D

you could use it as a slightly colored limiter to track with... its not going to be the BEST vocal limiter, but it will work.

it would be good for keyboards going straight in as well for a hair of color.

If my memory is correct the 522 is basically a 2 channel 501. The older 501 (toggle switch model) is liked by alot of people for crushing bass and drums. I don't think this was a bad buy. The price seems to be going up on the 501s and probably this model as well so you may get to sell it for more than you invested if you don't like it.

So basically, I bought the right tool, but for the wrong job. I was hoping to use it for limiting my vocals on their way to my DA converters, but I don't know if it's up to that task.

I'll have to try it, and let my ears be the judge.

It'll probably sound good on my bass after the DI, but I have a DBX 166A that I use for that, and am pretty happy with.

Oh well, 1 of them *MAY* end up on eBay sometime, but probably not... I have a much easier time buying stuff than selling it.... ;) ;) ;)

GO PISTONS!!! (Now that the Kings are out....) ANYONE BUT LA !!!! :) :) :)

eeldip said:
i USED to own an RNC, but i sold it cause i liked my cl-150 more. RNC does really nice hi-fi clear compression. so does my computer. but for free...
is it really equal in quality? because if thats the case...Why do I EVEN BOTHER with outboard gear? Seriously?
Thanx

Just to clarify, compression REDUCES the dynamic range of a signal. I think you meant to say the compressor would allow you to record a hotter signal without worrying about clipping. I have the Delta 44 and a pair of RNCs. When I track myself, I just keep the levels down and record at 24-bit. I try to peak at ~-6 and I still get a very usable signal. When I track others, I might stick the RNC in the chain while tracking since other folks aren't aware of clipping/etc...
Good luck!

compression to just increase the dynamic range of vocals to a digital sound card. (Delta 44)

Gordon,
Yes, that is what I meant.... (isn't that what I said??? :confused: )

My wife IS NOT aware of clipping when she sings..... THAT's what I need compression for...

Thanks for your relpy!
-Neil

Oh, my bad... That isn't what I said... :rolleyes:

I replied based on the "Subscribed Thread" email I got, and didn't see the quote. Sorry bout that...

It *IS* what I meant though.... I know compressors REDUCE dynamics.... It's just that my brain doesn't always synch up with my fingers.... :cool:

<<If my memory is correct the 522 is basically a 2 channel 501. >>

unfortunately, your memory didn't serve you here.......the 525 is the "essentially 2 channel 501". :D

i've used and own several pieces of symetrix gear over the years, and i've yet to find one that would be considered "bad". i'm sure you'll find some sort of use for it. my new favorite use for my 528 is on snare. WHAM! :b

cheers,
wade

Back