What AD/DA converters are you using?

dchase

I’m doing a little research trying to find a suitable converter to meet my needs. I’m switching to Logic from pro-tools, and ditching the digi002 I’ve been with for about a year. The Apogee stuff looks good (Mini-Me USB), but I’m just wondering what else is out there.

I’m going for a high quality signal path throughout my studio; all I need is two channels of input. I’d like to have a unit also capable of professional quality re-recording, balanced out to unbalanced guitar amps, and possibly other analogue/digital outboard gear.

I have been doing some real sole searching and goal setting, and google’n, and I think I’m headed where I need to go. Any helpful suggestions are welcome.

p.s.- I know how to use the search feature and have exhausted its use, here as well as Harmony Central. Please reframe from mockery biased on my post count.

I use a Waves L2 Ultramaximizer for my AD conversion, and a Benchmark DAC-1 for DA. Probably the next thing I get will be an AD/DA converter box to add to the converters I already have. I have it narrowed down to three: the UA 2192, Apogee Rosetta 200, and Lavry Blue. I'd like to get the Benchmark ADC-1 unit, but the release is taking quite a while and I can't wait any longer.

Reactions: NL5
Drum tracking: Creamware A16U

Everything else requiring one or two channels: Lucid AD / DA

The Creamware is an excellent bang for the buck box when you need a lot of channels. Typically after drums though everything is one or two channels at a time so having some great AD / DA around makes a big difference in the end.

War

Blue Bear Sound said:
I use Lucid A/D-D/A's, the on-board converters in my console, and the converters on the HD24..... all give great results!

Hey Bear, which Lucid?

I use the Lucid ADA 8824. I like it. I do not use the convertors on my console :)

I primarily use the converters in the HD24 but I do use the MOTU 2408 mkII converters as well. Also sometimes the ones in the BBX 386. All clocked with a GenX6.

e-mu 1820m

not much to compare to, but it the sound noticably bigger and better than my previous delta 410.

Next week I will have a Mytek 8/96 A/D and currently using the Benchmark DAC-1 for my D/A converter.

Its taking awhile but things are finally coming together. :D

Lynx has a nice looking 8ch ad/da (Aurora) box coming out for the public at the end of this month. I know Fletcher from Mercenary and Nathan from Atlas Pro Audio both have these units already and are going to be putting them to the test to see if they stand up to the latest buzz. Im interested in hearing their comparisons. This box has a great price point also for ad/da all in one box.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-LYN-AURORA8--brand-433.html

Peace
Eddie

Lynx L22, which is essentially a Lynx II without the SMPTE/video components. Lynx makes the only truely audiophile quality converters that live in the box. At around $600, the L22 is one expensive soundcard, but a really good deal on a set of converters of that quality.
-Bob

Robert D said:
Lynx L22, which is essentially a Lynx II without the SMPTE/video components. Lynx makes the only truely audiophile quality converters that live in the box. At around $600, the L22 is one expensive soundcard, but a really good deal on a set of converters of that quality.
-Bob

The possibility of using the converters on a pci card sound very intriguing, as far as quality goes, how dose the Lynx stuff compare to Benchmark, Lucid, Apogee, stand alone units?

I’m basically at a fork in the road, deciding whether or not it’s worth it to spend money on a nice PCI card or to put the money towards a quality outboard AD/DA converter. If I go with a standalone unit then all I need is a basic pci card with some kind digital input, and I’m set. If I go with a nice pci card I guess I’d be saving some money, but perhaps I’d be sacrificing quality or future compatibility with other gear.

Are there others out there using quality pci cards for AD/DA needs?
Thanks for all the help.
DC

Back