Warm Audio TB12 vs. UA 710?

Teaj

Hey, y'all. I've gone hog wild and purchased the TB12 and am loving it. So much variety, so many controls that really put their own unique stamp on the sound, or clean it up if that's what you want.

Just wonder if anyone has tested it against the 710. The 710 seems to be the only mic pre that gives the kind of versatility that the TB12 offers. Anybody A/B these two yet?

I did a review on the TB12 at my audio site, and, like I said, I really dig it. Just wondering if it's nearest competitor is worth the extra couple hundred.

Thanks for any insight. If I don't find anyone that's done this, guess it'll be up to me! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Teaj,
Welcome to HR.

I've often wondered how some of the WA gear compares to original/older gear.
Hopefully someone here has some hands-on. :)

Looks like youre going to have to buy one and compare it. :)

Seriously the UA Twinfinity is a classy looking analogish visual well styled piece isnt it?
Transistor section or Tube or both....saturation for a Mic preamp and the DI. Two big knobs simple....whats not to like?
Everyone can do clean really well these days, so its the other stuff Im interested in.

Now if UA had only added a 3rd channel of transformer overdrive...or TB added a tube section...dang

Inside the 710 Twin-Finity | Universal Audio

I'm only going by sound samples and videos, but the TB-12 seems equal to about 7 different preamps if the user knows what he/she/other/uncertain is doing.

maybe the OP went into gear overload or is in a massive shootout?
Universal Audio Twin-finity 710 |
Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast |

used today...$479+ for Twinfinity, $415+ToneBeast .... both offer a DI, a good DI is what? $150 if you need one.

for vocal the Twinoffers some tubishness, ToneBeast maybe more FUZZface for guitars.

one huge difference is the style. Do you want single 19" rack or a 2U unit type ISA One kind of thing.?

just thinking outside the box...har har

add> I was reading a few owners thought the 710 can be noisy if used on Voice / Audio book type applications....silence isnt its strongest trait.
seems for music and tracking its fine.

Last edited:
Well, I really hesitated at the 710 after reading CoolCat's post about it not being good on quiet vocals. That's a lot of what I do, just acoustic and voice originals, so I think I made the right choice with the Tone Beast.

If any want to hear what it actually sounds like, I did a review of it with sound files on my site, SeriousGas.com.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Especially you, CoolCat!

Teaj

nothing beats your own review.
the ToneBeast sounds like a versatile machine though like buying a few pieces of gear gas, DI, clean , dist...while remaining to be simple.

the clips were good , funny too., definitely some grwl in the latter tones. Ive never had the in and out transformers, so as I understand it you can crank the input up and thats where the output transformer gets the overdrive, I think.
API 312 and more... Looks like a 5 star piece imo.

now for that 1176 you mention... :eatpopcorn:

Yea, I cranked the overdrive up a couple times but it never sounded right for the particular song I was recording... at least not for the vocals. I'm sure if I throw down a guitar solo though it would ROCK! I was surprised at just how MUCH distortion you can add at the end of the chain on the TB12; it's a LOT.

Popcorn, indeed! Tho' even the 1176 plug-in I use is SOOO good... I think that'll be sufficing for a while! lol

Yea, I cranked the overdrive up a couple times but it never sounded right for the particular song I was recording... at least not for the vocals. I'm sure if I throw down a guitar solo though it would ROCK! I was surprised at just how MUCH distortion you can add at the end of the chain on the TB12; it's a LOT.

Popcorn, indeed! Tho' even the 1176 plug-in I use is SOOO good... I think that'll be sufficing for a while! lol

yeqh those UAD dudes are soooo lucky, all the vintage hardware to compare to anything, lol...
sometimes I wish my interface would drop out so I would have reason to get a UA Duo and all those 1176 and other plugs.

:listeningmusic:

Back