Wah for bass?

Mr. Kristopher

Hey does anybody have an opinion on what wah pedals they like for bass? I'm using a Dunlop Bass Crybaby wah. I'm getting too much stuff going on for too little foot movement. Any suggestions?

I use a Morley Bass Wah. Pretty good performance with adjustable Wah-ness.... seems to be a little unresponsive on particularly low tones... this might be a universal thing though. It's got an optical sensor so you just need to step on it to switch it on, there are no extra switches or anything.

If you want my 2 cents, I bought the Snarling Dogs bass wah and I can't recommend it. It's very difficult to click on for a bass wah, it gets too much effect for too little response, in my opinion, and it's very clicky and trebbly. It's a real tone killer no matter where it's set. I'm going to try out the Morley or the Q5 Crybaby, I don't think I can take too much more of this thing.

Warning!
thedrowningman0

I've been getting more use out of my Morley the last couple of weeks, my band has this pseudo-funkn song on the go and I have to say it doesn't suffer from too much clickiness or being too trebly... works best if you dont move it about too much though. I tend to keep it just past the "on" point and lean on it a bit more where appropriate. Depending on the Wah level you use though it can get a bit gloopy with bottom end stuff.

I play guitar and bass with my band. I use the standard Dunlop cry-baby and have great luck with it for both applications. However, I agree you have to have some pretty precise footwork with the bass stuff.

I've used the 95Q Crybaby, and it has a control that lets you contour how much wah you get for how much pedal movement.

It's a big jump up in price ($175 list), but the thing WAHS like you wouldn't believe. It can sound a lot like a talk box if you set it right.
http://www.jimdunlop.com/electronics/wahs.html

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by CharlesThomas (edited 05-18-2000).]

I use the standard Dunlop cry-baby with my bass (actually I play guitar AND bass) and have great luck with it for both applictions. However, I agree you have to have some pretty precise footwork with the bass stuff.

I've used the 95Q Crybaby, and it has a control that lets you contour how much wah you get for how much pedal movement.

It's a big jump up in price ($175 list), but the thing WAHS like you wouldn't believe. It can sound a lot like a talk box if you set it right.
http://www.jimdunlop.com/electronics/wahs.html

Good luck!

Back