VTB-1 vs. Avalon 737

Have you actually listened to the samples though? The point of this topic was to allow people to compare the two preamps from the two audio samples. And IMHO the VTB-1 sounds nearly the same for under $100 and the Avalon sounds just a little better for ~$2000.

tadmaz said:
Have you actually listened to the samples though? The point of this topic was to allow people to compare the two preamps from the two audio samples. And IMHO the VTB-1 sounds nearly the same for under $100 and the Avalon sounds just a little better for ~$2000.

No, I haven't yet, but will check them out when I get home. Actually, I own a VTB-1 and really like it. I just think the idea of comparing it with the Avalon is quite silly. It's like comparing a little red wagon to a Bentley. If the little red wagon is all you have, it's probably a pretty sweet ride, but...well, you get the idea. ;)

I will listen to the clips, though. If they are mp3s, they may not be of much use for comparison. Also, you have to consider the rest of the signal chain (mic/mic placement, cable, room, performer, etc.). Combining the right gear with the right source is a large part of the battle.

O.K., I listened and agree that they both sound good. However, the VTB-1 is more gritty/grainy, while the avalon is just "buttery" smooth and very transparent. However, I won't be upgrading to the avalon anytime soon...unless, of course, I win the lottery or something. :)

Yeah, Volkswagon Beetle vs. Ferrari. They sound very similar until you step on the gas. You *cannot* evaluate any audio gear from an MP-3. That's like evaluating 2 girlfriends after running them through a woodchipper. They all look pretty miuch the same on the other side.-Richie

Oops, Tadmaz, my bad. I do however, stand by the assertion that the VTB-1 vs. a 737 is like comparing a peashooter to a howitzer.-Richie

IMHO. Although the Avalon sounded a tit fuller, I thought the VTB-1 sounded more natural and tight. :eek: Still I found the difference was pretty slim.

No disrespect intended, but I just find it funny how people around here respond without actually listening, or knowing all the facts. :p

Actually, I didn't listen to the clips, because I consider them irrelevent. I *have* listened to the 737, up close and personal and the VTB-1 as well, for many, many hours. I've heard them both through Genelecs in a mastering room, as it turns out, and I've heard what happens when a fair number of tracks are overdubbed with either one, and they are not even remotely in the same league.
However, I do think the VTB-1 is a very good entry level preamp, which is more than fairly priced. It is also the only hybrid I've heard where the tewb drive doesn't suck totally. If you like the sound it makes, by all means, use it.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
and I've heard what happens when a fair number of tracks are overdubbed with either one, and they are not even remotely in the same league.

Thats one of the keys. When I upgraded all my cabling, even though it was a small (but still audible) difference, it's once you multiple that effect, that the difference is night and day.

I didn't know 003 is Avalon and I still perfer it after listen.
it caputes more detail in high end,natural.I think the track can be mixed easliy in front.
004 is abit dim comparing with 003 and lacking character than avalon.
but what,it's only $129.very good for the price!

tadmaz said:
http://www.audiopimps.net/reviews/studio-projects-vtb1-avalon-737.php

Has anyone heard the samples? 003 is the avalon and 004 is the VTB-1 (If you can't tell). The avalon does sound better to me, but not *that* much better. I'm getting my VTB-1 tomorrow, should be schweet.

Tadmaz,

The ribbing is all good-natured. :) Please do post your impressions of the VTB-1 after you get a chance to test it out. At $130 a channel, the price-to-performance ratio is unbeatable in my mind.

Preamp and mic tests like that always amuse me. They can be interseting and fun, but to me it doesn't really reflect how a piece of gear fits in a working environment. First off, Preamps don't always sound like "magic" when you just plug in and solo it up. This happened to me when I got my Chandler. I have a very nice console, but my Chandler (on first test) was VERY similar. I was a little bummed at first. However, as soon as I layed a couple tracks through it and started mixing, thats where the Chandler "magic" really made it's appearances. Tracks laid though the Chandler were a little easier to get placed, and were much more aggresive in cutting through a mix. This was something that was not nearly as apparent when solo'ed up, but very obvious when used in a real life situation.

Hope this means something to those that think they are going to get the same thing by buying a VTB-1 as they would from getting something like an Avalon. There is certainly NOTHING wrong with a VTB-1. However, put it in a working environment and it won't hold up as well. It shouldn't. If it did, we would all be out buying multiple VTB-1's:D

xstatic said:
There is certainly NOTHING wrong with a VTB-1. However, put it in a working environment and it won't hold up as well. It shouldn't. If it did, we would all be out buying multiple VTB-1's:D

I doubt it.

Most of the lust for expensive, boutique gear is about 90% image and psychological factor.

If someone ever did figure out a way to mass-market a superior-sounding piece of gear and retail it for a couple-hundred bucks a pop ... people would still lust after the more expensive stuff. It's just part of human nature.

tadmaz said:

If I can't hear the difference, I guess it doesn't matter. Does it?

scrubs said:
O.K., I listened and agree that they both sound good. However, the VTB-1 is more gritty/grainy, while the avalon is just "buttery" smooth and very transparent. However, I won't be upgrading to the avalon anytime soon...unless, of course, I win the lottery or something. :)

if you plugged a 58 into both those pre's i bet you'd hear a noticeable difference (although i don't know what mics they used). great pre's really make dynamic mics shine. just a thought.
that said, i own 2 vtb-1's that i got in brand new condition for $75 each with the warranty cards. i've had'em for about a year, and they sound very good with no problems to report. if you are recording to a computer based medium, i feel that the bit of "dirt" or grainyness that the vtb-1 imparts helps what some describe as somewhat "sterile" sounding digital tracks, and also helps things "sit" in the mix better. i do my pre production at home going directly from my 2 vtb-1's into an audiophile 24/96 card (to cubase sx), and i must say it sometimes surprises me how good it sounds... and i am a diehard analog guy when it comes to recording for keeps.
hope that helps, somehow - jv

johneeeveee said:
if you plugged a 58 into both those pre's i bet you'd hear a noticeable difference (although i don't know what mics they used). great pre's really make dynamic mics shine. just a thought.
that said, i own 2 vtb-1's that i got in brand new condition for $75 each with the warranty cards. i've had'em for about a year, and they sound very good with no problems to report. if you are recording to a computer based medium, i feel that the bit of "dirt" or grainyness that the vtb-1 imparts helps what some describe as somewhat "sterile" sounding digital tracks, and also helps things "sit" in the mix better. i do my pre production at home going directly from my 2 vtb-1's into an audiophile 24/96 card (to cubase sx), and i must say it sometimes surprises me how good it sounds... and i am a diehard analog guy when it comes to recording for keeps.
hope that helps, somehow - jv

I totally agree. The main reason I bought the VTB-1 was that my voice just sounded too sterile after I switched to digital recording. The preamps in my mixer and those in my US-122 just didn't cut it. The VTB-1 has a nice flavor and I will likely use it for years to come.

... i would be lying if i said that my vtb-1's could compete with the high end gear i've been lucky enough to use to make records, but those signal chains cost way more than any car i've ever owned!
this forum is about home recording and project studios, and the vtb-1's, dmp3's, and rane inexpensive pre's are great for starving musicians who want to make good sounding recordings. all the high end gear in the world ain't gonna make you sing or play better, or write better songs, right? ;)
shit, some really good records were made on 4 trk cassette decks (elliott smith, neutral milk hotel).
get yer pre and get to work making some music and don't worry 'bout it :D

johneeeveee said:
some really good records were made on 4 trk cassette decks (elliott smith, neutral milk hotel).

Off topic:

Wow! Love both those artists. Tragic about Elliott. A great loss to the music community. Condor Ave. still chokes me up.

And NMH...can't say enough. I wish he would get around to making another album, 'cuz my copy of Aeroplane is just about worn out.

Anyway, good point, john.

Happy recording.

Back