voiceworks

dogn4u

Hi everyone. Time to display my ignorance (not to be confused with stupidity, please!).
I recently bought a TC Helicon Voiceworks box for harmony generation and pitch correction. The unit works just fine when I plug a mic into the xlr inputs - the harmony doesn't even sound too cheesy, and I think with some learning and tweaking, I'll get some good sound out of it. Here's the thing, though. I want to add the FX after I'm done tracking, not during. In other words, when mixing. There must be a way to do this. I'm using a Tascam FW-1884 mixer to control my DAW (SONAR 3). The mixer has TRS and xlr inserts for each channel (8), plus 8 outputs, with any track assignable to any output. Also optical and s/pdif ins and outs. The back of the Voiceworks has analog TRS ins and outs as well as s/pdif in and out and an xlr mic input.
What would be the best and/or simplest way to connect these devices to allow me to add FX from the Voiceworks to an existing vocal track? Forgive me if this topic has been covered; a search didn't help. Can anyone help or point me to a thread on this? It's probably simple: Mixing 101...but I'm not getting anywhere. Can I actually run a cable from an analog output - say, track 3 vox - to an unoccupied line level analog input? And insert the Voiceworks in the output? Or will that create some horrible, squealing loop?
Thanks all in advance,
Rudi

yup...you can.

A lot of us will do exactly that...take down the best, cleanest, raw recording,...archive it then push it to an audio torturing device of our choosing. That's a pretty common approach.

Of course you've got to consider connection impedances but for the most part, it's a pretty straight forward process. Record it...save it, take a copy and send it out to a processor, then back to the recording device. A bit simplistic but that's how it's done.

sorry - I'm still not clear. Do you mean like burn it to CD then run the CD through the box? Isn't there some way to do it as if my voiceworks were a plug-in? Do you know what I mean? For example, I can add reverb to my vocal track from a plug-in...A/B it so I can hear it dry vs wet, etc.
That's what I'm after: making this box work like a plug-in effect. Can that be done?

Back