Vocalist Rack (studio/live use).. Under $700

Magix

Hey guys,
Im a young rocker/vocalist
i've been creating home recordings for roughly 8 years (22 now).
For the most part I have been slowly picking thing up on my own but i definitely need some assistance

--

Im looking for a vocal processor (i believe thats what its called..maybe not lol).

Function: a rack that is has a large bank of vocal eq / effects (reverb, radio muffled sounds... etc) that can be tweaked by hand and saved onto the unit for later use.

Price: Under $700.

Use: studio/live

Type of music: I really am not in the business of comparing our sound but vocals wise i'd say something along the lines of 'the arctic monkeys' and 'the killers'.. so a unit that could produce similar effects that have been laid onto their vocals.. examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLuDz3qCTc .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma9I9VBKPiw..

Equipment List:
Rode nt1000
SafeSound P1 preamp
Focusrite Saffire LE
Motif ES6
Pod Line 6
M-audio mons
Macbook - Logic

I truley hate tweaking vocals on my computer, id preffer a rack that I can add to the chain.. im not looking to use it as a pre since i cant part with my safesoundp1.. Also, I would like to hear the effect as im recording, i dont want to record it clean and go back afterwards (picky about this lol)

im not sure if one thing can do what i require.. it could be a few things... ? .. any suggestions???

Hey guys,
Im a young rocker/vocalist
i've been creating home recordings for roughly 8 years (22 now).
For the most part I have been slowly picking thing up on my own but i definitely need some assistance

--

Im looking for a vocal processor (i believe thats what its called..maybe not lol).

Function: a rack that is has a large bank of vocal eq / effects (reverb, radio muffled sounds... etc) that can be tweaked by hand and saved onto the unit for later use.

Price: Under $700.

Use: studio/live

Type of music: I really am not in the business of comparing our sound but vocals wise i'd say something along the lines of 'the arctic monkeys' and 'the killers'.. so a unit that could produce similar effects that have been laid onto their vocals.. examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLuDz3qCTc .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma9I9VBKPiw..

Equipment List:
Rode nt1000
SafeSound P1 preamp
Focusrite Saffire LE
Motif ES6
Pod Line 6
M-audio mons
Macbook - Logic

I truley hate tweaking vocals on my computer, id preffer a rack that I can add to the chain.. im not looking to use it as a pre since i cant part with my safesoundp1.. Also, I would like to hear the effect as im recording, i dont want to record it clean and go back afterwards (picky about this lol)

im not sure if one thing can do what i require.. it could be a few things... ? .. any suggestions???

Used Kurzweil Rumour and Mangler. Should cover most bases well.

if you guys could only afford to purchase one for the time being... say your girlfriend just got laid off from work and you guys need to make rent.. :(

which one would you get first and why? ... rumour?

Rumour... cause it's great on vocals as a Reverb box... You'll use it more...

thanks guys, just trying to be cautious until the misses and i get our money in order again with her new job..

another quick question
would i be able to record my vocals dry, straight onto logic.. THEN have the option of selecting the reverb i would prefer and somehow add it onto the mix???

i was thinking more about this and yes, i would like the option of doing it before hand on some occasions.. but also after on others..

possible?

thanks guys, just trying to be cautious until the misses and i get our money in order again with her new job..

another quick question
would i be able to record my vocals dry, straight onto logic.. THEN have the option of selecting the reverb i would prefer and somehow add it onto the mix???

i was thinking more about this and yes, i would like the option of doing it before hand on some occasions.. but also after on others..

possible?
Absolutely, you have digital I/O (SPDIF) on both the Saffire and the Rumour so you won't even have to go through a conversion stage. You could also set up the routing to monitor with effect while tracking without commiting

Absolutely, you have digital I/O (SPDIF) on both the Saffire and the Rumour so you won't even have to go through a conversion stage. You could also set up the routing to monitor with effect while tracking without commiting

Brilliant! Really appreciate all of your assistance!!

newb question.. here it goes...

how exactly can i hook the rumour up to my setup using 'I/O' (no idea what that is.. but i see it on the back of my equipment.. im a dirty newb :(
I like what mofo pro said above (i/o etc...).. but i have no idea how to go about doing this :S

thanks again

Last edited:
Back