using my Microverb with MIDI

daafje

Silly, simple question really, but the jargon in my manual leaves room for doubt.. I tried to add some effects to a composition on pc. Normally my keyboard is linked to my pc via a midi cable, which also powers the keyboard so that when the pc is on, the keyboard is on. I linked a midi cable from the MIDI OUT on my keyboard to the MIDI IN on the Microverb4, and then from the MIDI OUT/THRU to the MIDI port on the pc (Soundblaster Live!). Unfortunately this meant my keyboard no longer receives power. Is this normal and should I just power the keyboard via an ac adapter when connected to the Microverb4? Will, once I can power the keyboard, the midi signal received by the pc now have an effect on it? Will the effect stay on this newly created part in my composition even when I remove the effects unit? (sequencer= Cubasis AV)

On a different note (no pun intended) - I am supposed to be able to add effects from my card by giving a 'controller value', but I cannot find these controllers anywhere so I still cannot add any effects. Highly frustrating, and I cannot find anything helpful in the whole bloody adobe helpfiles... Any bright sparks out there who can set me straight on any or both of these issues? Much appreciated.

Yes, no, and Maybe. :)

First: Yes its' normal. MIDI cables are not normally used to power anything, so if your keyboard is powered by the MIDI-cable, that is a non-standard thing, and I actually wouldn't dare put ANYTHING else than the MIDI-keyboard into that MIDI-in connection, since it obviously has powere in places where it shouldn't have power...

Secondly: Midi is a way of sending note and controller information between systems. The sound doesn't travel in the MIDI cables. Therefore, you can't add any effects from the Microverb by the MIDI-cable. You need to take the line-signal that you want to have effects on and put that through the audio ins and outs of the microverb. The MIDI connection of the microverb is used to change the effect parameters only.

Thirdly: Maybe. The effect can stay if you record the SOUND, like a tape deck. If you are recording the MIDI signals (i, e note on and note offs) then, no the effect will not stay.

And last: It's unclear what you have tried, but unless you have special drivers to make Cubasis know about the sound card effects, you need to add the effects in the sound card setup.

Back