Used Compressors?

Headline

Hey guys,
I was talking to the my Band Director/Music Theory Teacher in my school about compressors and which ones are good to start out with. He told me to just buy something that lasts because it'll sound better and you wont have to upgrade. I mentioned Behringer compressors and he handed one to me, then he told me about DBX and handed me one of those (Apparently we have alot of compressors for the band). He told me not to get the Behringer and just get a DBX (The DBX felt so solid compared to the Behringer). He let me take them both home to give back to him the next day and I have decided definitely on the DBX...

Anyway, with well-built compressors is it OK to buy them used? The teacher told me they are something that you can continually rely on but I want to make sure. Of course depending on how much it was used but I just cant afford a new one right now.

*BTW He let me use a Behringer MDX4600 and a DBX 1066*

-Headline

Last edited:
Yes, you can buy them used. They are the type of thing that doesn't really wear out. So, if it isn't physically broken, it's probably good.

Yeah, they tend to be very long lasting. Obviously no guarantees but a safer bet than much/most used gear.

Besides dbx, have a watch for Drawmer--good kit.

Some of the very first Behringer compressors (the ones made in Germany) are highly sought after and fetch prices used that rival used Drawmer compressors. ;)

that reminds me of some of the early Yamaha acoustics, they copied Martins to the "T" and are now really enjoyed by those who own them.

Back