USB preamp advice.

timmyrw

I have recently made the switch from 4-track to computer and it is all truly foreign to me.
I have an sm57 and an MXL v69 tube for microphones and need advice on what would be a nice(and affordable) usb preamp.
I was thinking of the m-audio stuff.
Like I said this is all very new to me so any and all advice would be great. Excuse my ignorance as well.
thank you.

There is no such thing as a usb preamp. There are usb interfaces--their main job is AD/DA conversion. Some of them have mic preamps built in, some don't.

If money is really tight, one of the usb interfaces (that include mic preamps) from M-Audio or EMU will get you started. But the better route, IMO, is to get a good quality PCI soundcard like the M-Audio Audiophile or Delta series and then go buy a decent mic preamp. I don't think the preamps (or converters) included on a budget usb all-in-one interface will satisfy you for very long. Firewire is another option, but I don't have any experience with it--those who have it seem to like it.

With a nice mic like the V69, you need a good mic preamp. I don't think anything boxed with a usb interface will fit that bill.

i ended up getting the firewire. I have yet to test the v69 but i will let you know how it works. With the sm57 I am getting a sound that is really nice. Thank you for your help.

Back