USB AD Converter with Preamps

AlecBeretz

These units make home recording soooo easy, especially when on a budget.
Many of these interfaces are cheap and shitty, but i know there are some good ones.
Ideally, I'd like:

USB Interface
8 Inputs
AD Conversion
Preamps
Phantom Power

Any recommendations?

The Tascam?

I actually own a Tascam US1800--as far as i can tell, it works well but sounds slightly flat. I've gotten many almost-great recordings with it... maybe i just need a better room. I use my Apogee Duet when I can cause the preamps are much sexier.

So now, two questions:

1) Per the Tascam recommendations, do you guys really think the thing is solid? How good is the A/D clocking and preamps in your opinion?

2) What would be a potential upgrade? My budget would be like $500-$1000, possibly upwards of $1500 if its really worth it. I'd love to get the apogee symphony but its almost $5000....

IMO, spend the money elsewhere and look into to room treatment if you are getting serious about recording.

The interface is unlikely to be the weak link in the audio chain.

I upgraded to two Steinberg UR824's recently. Yes, the pre's seem a bit cleaner and possibly a slightly better sound overall, but nowhere near what room treatment did to improve my recordings. I would start there.

I have a US2000 that I use for live recordings... S'not too bad. As most units in that range, "0" usable headroom (I'm hardcore about keeping anything coming in well below -12dBFS, which isn't anything different for anything else I suppose, but I'm especially careful with 'budget-friendly' stuff).

I'd probably look into what MOTU has also -- Always so flexible and usually digital control... I think they have an 8-banger with USB...

I wouldn't even worry about diffusion until you've nabbed up SOOOOO much broadband and low end that you need diffusion.

Broadband trapping, as much as you can possibly stand. That'll handle 90% of your issues from the start.

I actually own a Tascam US1800--as far as i can tell, it works well but sounds slightly flat...

I agree... but this "flat" is easily fixed with eq and vox effects, right?

I think some pre's seem to sparkle a little more, but its usually possible to simulate the eq effect pretty close.
The 1800 is so cheap and offers so many inputs etc.. been happy with the one Ive had as far as working.

I've heard good things about motu... I'll scope it out.

As far as room treatment, to a certain extent, putting up foam and shit in a room is just going to deaden the high frequencies... i was considering building some diffusers out of wood, kinda like this: Do-it-Yourself Acoustical Treatment: How to Build a Diffuser - YouTube

Where do you guys suggest getting started?

Don't bother with foam. It won't solve the problems inherent to most rooms. Use Knauf or Owens/Corning Soundboard.

Do a search for broadband absorbers and bass traps. They will do much more to treat your room in a meaningful way than diffusors.

Back