upgrade audio interface & puter???

cbsc

Hello Homerecorders,

I need to be able to record one (maybe two) channel(s) at 44.1 khz/16 bit with no latency issues, pops, or clicks and my current setup is not working, despite messing with the settings ( I think it is due to a weak computer with USB 1).

I am thinking firewire will solve this??? I will am willing to save for quality equipment (mid price range), but obviously I shouldn't have to spend $$$$
for a simple setup-- let me know if all I need is a new interface/firewire or if I should save for a new computer and a new interface??? Or maybe I should try a different setup???

Thanks for any suggestions, Chad

Current setup:
dell laptop 1.6 core duo, 512rm Win XP Media Center Edition,
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Sound Forge 4.5, Acid pro 2.0

cbsc said:
Hello Homerecorders,

ICurrent setup:
dell laptop 1.6 core duo, 512rm Win XP Media Center Edition,
M-Audio Fast Track Pro

I have a similiar setup and can get 40 tracks without a pop. It has to be settings.

DavidK said:
I have a similiar setup and can get 40 tracks without a pop. It has to be settings.

David,

I'll double check the settings and keep working with it-- do you have any latency issues? Right now, when I record eack track, I have to manually line them up in time by editing them, but I was hoping to not have to do this.

Thank you, Chad

I'd say settings also... The computer must have USB 2, might not
be a bad idea to upgrade to USB 2 or firewire... but at this point it probably won't resolve you problem... You've got plenty of horepower there

I cant explain in detail, but from what I've heard and read I would suspect that "Media Center" is a big part of the problem. I saw a guy running a full Nuendo setup doing 64 tracks on a machine with less msucle than what you have..... his secret is running a stripped down version of Windows, no internet, no email, no junk.....and believe me, Windows will run a boatload of junk behind the scenes if you let it, especially Media Center, which is intended to replace your entertainment center....

soundchaser59 said:
I cant explain in detail, but from what I've heard and read I would suspect that "Media Center" is a big part of the problem. I saw a guy running a full Nuendo setup doing 64 tracks on a machine with less msucle than what you have..... his secret is running a stripped down version of Windows, no internet, no email, no junk.....and believe me, Windows will run a boatload of junk behind the scenes if you let it, especially Media Center, which is intended to replace your entertainment center....

I zeroed in on this as well. I've seen all kinds of stories about Media center being a problem with multi-track music applications. In fact, (can't remember who right now,) there are companies that state that they do not recommend media center for computer recording.

I am running a PIII computer with 512, and get 20 tracks with no problem over usb 1. You should be fine without the MC OS.

I am thinking firewire will solve this??? I will am willing to save for quality equipment (mid price range), but obviously I shouldn't have to spend $$$$

I doubt a new interface will fix the problem. What you have should be fine. I've heard that running other usb/firewire devices while recording can cause problems with pops and clicks.I would tend to think the problem was a internal setting or program as mentioned.

much appreciated

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for all your help-- I will look into getting a different OS or
maybe learn how to disable media center-- I have finally found the problem!!!!

Keep on recording, Chad

go to control pannel/ add remove programs and seriously delete or disable any program that you don't use. disable outlook express, any programs that may start up automatically on your taskbar. if you have itunes/ or anything else that you want to keep but starts up automatically or stays on your taskbar then disable that feature. run a spyware search and delete any spyware that could be slowing you down. ive temporarily been using a 1.4 ghz celeron with only 256 mb ram and i can record as many tracks as i want without a hitch. but my brother has a 2ghz laptop with 512 ram and it goes 1/10th the speed of mine because of all the useless crap he has that runs in the background half of which i doubt he even knows what is.

i apologize if i've treated you too much like someone who doesn't know anything about computers if you've already done all of this.

Update...I think it is fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the help.

I haven't had time to fully test it, but it looks like but disabling the wireless internet did the trick! I did a quick session of vocal tracks with no clicks/pops during playback :)

Hey CBSC,

Think about recording with NO latency by NOT MONITORING your source while tracking...

What I mean is listen to the bed tracks through the computer -> through a head phone amp and then also pump your line in directly to the headphone amp too.

You will lose the ability to apply effects for the headphones, but you can completely eliminate any latency issues by not having your source run in - then out - of you computer while tracking.

Hope this makes sense.

I know it will work.

Jim

jdier said:
Think about recording with NO latency by NOT MONITORING your source while tracking...

What I mean is listen to the bed tracks through the computer -> through a head phone amp and then also pump your line in directly to the headphone amp too.
You will lose the ability to apply effects for the headphones, but you can completely eliminate any latency issues by not having your source run in - then out - of you computer while tracking. Hope this makes sense.I know it will work.
Jim

Most audio interfaces have provisions for hardware or zero latency monitoring. What this does is sends the source signal straight over to the monitor output without going for a round trip to the computer and back. This is true even for PCI interfaces.

Back