Universal Audio M610 Tube Mic Preamp

deadleafecho

I hear alot of people love this as a bass DI and on female vocals. Would it be decent recording electric guitars? What about the John Hardy M1?

the ua sounds great on electric guitars-- the impedence switching lets you tailor the pre to the mic you're using (very handy) and the shelving eq's are really useful. the john hardy is also a great pre, but is way cleaner than the m610. i had a m610 which i traded to a dude here and the singer in my band has two john hardy pres.

I use a UA M610 & Avalon M5. The UA is warm & fuzzy and the Avalon is super clean.

I love the UA M610. I prefer it for acoustic & electric gtrs over the Avalon. For vocals & bass it really depends on the project.

If you're looking for a warm, tinge of distortion (sounds like tape saturation to me), upfront sound I think the UA 610 is hard to beat. If you want a clean sound skip it.

Personally, If I had to keep only one preamp at this time it would be the UA M610.

the ua sounds great on electric guitars-- the impedence switching lets you tailor the pre to the mic you're using (very handy) and the shelving eq's are really useful. the john hardy is also a great pre, but is way cleaner than the m610. i had a m610 which i traded to a dude here and the singer in my band has two john hardy pres.

I'm the dude he traded it to and I can confirm that the m610 kicks ass on electric guitars. I keep finding myself attempting to eq the guitars but then realizing I don't need to at all. With the impedence selector and the eq switches I get exactly the tone I need. I also like this pre matched with a 57 on snare.

Yeah I was wondering about that. So the Solo 610 is essentially the same thing without the eq? Actually it seems to be missing the variable impedence.
Anyway, great replies, thanks for the info.

i'm pretty sure the solo has all the same features as the m610. the eq section on the m610 is some boosts (hi/mid) and cuts (low). i'm pretty sure the solo 610 has them. the advantage is the rack vs. non rack, and i think i heard that the power supply section on the m610 is better, which if true, is an important part for a pre.
in any case, i'm not really a fan of non-rackable units

Looking for a good expounder below 500$

Last edited:
Yeah I was wondering about that. So the Solo 610 is essentially the same thing without the eq? Actually it seems to be missing the variable impedence.
Anyway, great replies, thanks for the info.

It has the same impedance options as the big boy LA610... 500, 2k, 47k, and 2.2M ohm. EQ wise, the Solo 610 only has the low cut switch. I don't know about the power supply, but I am certain it is no starved plate design.

yeah it's definitely not a starved tube design :D
yep you're right-- no high/mid boost. i definitely found that useful with some mics.
the solo has a di thru output though, which would be really useful in some situations

It has the same impedance options as the big boy LA610... 500, 2k, 47k, and 2.2M ohm. EQ wise, the Solo 610 only has the low cut switch. I don't know about the power supply, but I am certain it is no starved plate design.

I think koj was saying the solo might not have the exact power supply. It's all crammed into a smaller box so I think he was hypothesizing(sp?) that they may have cut some corners somewhere to get everything in there. Hey koj, you got any need for a nice esp ec1000?

I think koj was saying the solo might not have the exact power supply. It's all crammed into a smaller box so I think he was hypothesizing(sp?) that they may have cut some corners somewhere to get everything in there. Hey koj, you got any need for a nice esp ec1000?

yeah, i might have read that somewhere, but i'm not sure... plus you have to figure in the "stuff you read on the internet" factor.
thanks for the offer jon, i'll pass. :) let me know if you find a good expounder under $500 though :D
wanna buy an awesome mix buss/mastering (and tracking) compressor? :)

Now the LA610... there is a unit. The compressor in that dude is the bomb for vocals and bass... yum. For 2 bus, you won't do much better than a pair of LA-2As (or the 2-LA-2).

Back