Universal Audio LA-610

Rick Shepherd

I do male vocals and acoustic guitar recordings, and I haven't been totally happy with the vocal sound I was getting with the Avalon AD2022. The Ad2022 offers a very smooth, clear, detailed quality, but lacks a certain fullness in the lower end which I need for my voice. For acoustic guitar, the 2022 excells, but for my vocals, a better choice was pending. So, yesterday I decided on getting the LA-610 by Universal Audio. Rather than just a straight preamp, this unit is a channel strip which offers EQ and Compressor/Limiter. Well, I did a test recording, and it sounds awesome! I was able to get a very warm, beefy sound out of my voice. Anyone else out there have one of these units?

Just to add some other thoughts: The Avalon is probably much better when stacking alot of tracks, because it is very transparent and clean. The UA LA-610 adds diversity in the mix for my vocal sound, with a good kind of coloration.

I can also see how sometimes I may prefer the AD2022 for vocals, depending on the type of song and sound I want to achieve. Thanks for listening!

I own an M610 which has some eq options but no comp. I absolutely love it. I don't even have to eq electric guitars anymore and I love the way it makes thin male vocals sit big and nice in a mix.

Try a different mic.

I don't think it's the pre, I think it's the mic.

You really don't need much compression on your voice and it has a warm sound. I think the mic needs more punch or you need to eq the mix down with emphasis on your voice in the 2khz, 250hz and 500hz areas if you have parametric eq. I was just messing with the EQ on the windows media player and those frequencies seem to be lacking in your vocal track.

What mic are you using?

i was looking at the UA stuff last night online. only $1400 is good if it's making a major difference. i'd love to try one, but not sure if i can afford it especially if i don't like it. not sure what to do yet.

i would guess that it has a high resale value if i had to liquidate it...

I used the Peluso 2247 LE. There was no compression on this recording, just a slight bump of EQ in the lower end. So, you think the mic may not be right for my voice?

Ua 610

I've got a UA M610 & Avalon M5 (both similar to yours). I agree; the 610 is a different animal than the Avalon. I love it for my vocals over the Avalon. Big and warm - it helps hide the nasties in my vocals that the Avalon brings out :)

I think you nailed that warm vintage sound everybody is talking about, dead on...

Back