TUBES, ART Compressors; DUAL LEVELAR & PRO VLA

DeeCeeMonterey

Just picked up three ART Dual Levelar Compressor/Limiters (the single space rack mount units) There are currently Sovetek 12ax7 WA tubes in one, if not all three of them.
(I believe these units shipped with Ruby Tubes, when new.)

Any thoughts or ideas for replacing (or keeping) the Sovteks that are in there now?

Application; General home recording, Analog Soundcraft to Tascam 24 bit hard disc.
Vocals, Drums, (Sound module and live) Elec Guitars, and probably final mix as well.

As for the ART Pro VLA Compressor, I have one, and haven't popped it open yet, but any thoughts on tube swapping on this unit?

Also; I forget now how it works; Do tubes in use this way become weak, over time or am I thinking of main amplifier tubes? I never can remember the technical rules of thumb in relation to tube life. Thanks all. Dan, Marina, CA

I have a pair of Pro VLA compressors.
They brand of tube won't be a major difference, but you can try some NOS tubes if you want to compare...like some Sylvania or GE tubes, though there's not a lot of guarantee you will hear much difference.

I find some of the Sovetek and Chi9niese made 12AX7 tubes a bit harsh, and maybe too much gain on the Sovteks.
One one of the comps I'm using with 12AT7 tubes for less gain and more headroom. You can use either in the Pro VLA, and when you swtich, just recalibrate the levels (there are pots inside).
So you can try that too if you fell the comps are two crunchy...or do like did, and keep 12AX7 in one and 12AT7 in another for two different flavors.

Not sure about the Levelars...never tried them, but the Pro VLA actually isn't all that bad for the price. I mostly use them during tracking, on the way in, and mostly on guitars or anything I want just a little more thickness from, but I only do a light amount of compression with the Pro VLAs.

Back