Tubepre crapping out, bad tube?

jonnyc said:
Yeah guess not, I mean according you to you heard the difference between the tubepre and dmp3 but neither me nor my clients can? Weird huh? Did you forget this thread was started because someone's CrapPre decided to take a nice little poo? By the way, according to you, you kept the tubepre because none of your other pres sounded better and they cost more, however you just said the dmp3 is only 75 a channel while the tubepre is 100 per channel. It really just looks like you're out to defend your preamp purchase more than anything.

Quit putting words in my mouth. Go back and re-read my posts. I said that the tube pre sounded better than the art tube MP and the audio buddy.

YOU said you could hear a difference.

I said the DMP-3 cost more, and it does. I only used one channel - for vocals. The Tubepre did as good a job, possibly better, and cost less.

It sounds like you are trying to find a way to justify selling cheap stuff to buy different cheap stuff, so you can act like your new cheap stuff is the shit.

amra said:
Quit putting words in my mouth. Go back and re-read my posts. I said that the tube pre sounded better than the art tube MP and the audio buddy.

YOU said you could hear a difference.

I said the DMP-3 cost more, and it does. I only used one channel - for vocals. The Tubepre did as good a job, possibly better, and cost less.

It sounds like you are trying to find a way to justify selling cheap stuff to buy different cheap stuff, so you can act like your new cheap stuff is the shit.

Yeah, but I don't use cheap stuff anymore so that theory is bullshit. I'm glad you're happy with what you have but don't come on here telling me that me and my people can't hear a difference. I'm sure if you took a poll on this and most other studio forums you'd find more people going with the dmp3 over the tubepre.

jonnyc said:
Besides the fact it's cutting out and not working properly. Did you forget why you started this thread?

Oh you got me there. I don't even remember what a tubepre is? WTF were we talking about?

Somnium7 said:
Regarding the exact nature of the TP's circuitry do you have any fact behind your statement that it isn't a tube preamp? have you seen the schematic?

Was this piece of condescension aimed at somebody in particular? Had it occurred to you that people might have superior preamps than the TP but still keep it because they like it? I'm one of those people.

I hear alot of crapping-on but no reasons why. Indulge me on what makes this unit a "huge piece of shit", I'm curious.

In non technical terms these "Dialable" tube pre"s aren"t tube pre"s because they don"t have over 200v going to the Tube plate, How can you tell?? well because firstly most use an AC/DC adapter which can not output 200v , Pluss a "Real" tube pre uses the Tube for amplification, but if you can Dial in the Tube then you know it isn"t amplifying with the tube it is amplifying through an Opamp and just Passing the signal through the tube to color the signal (2nd order harmonics).....

And lastly if the Tube doesn"t glow orange when in use then the tube isn"t getting enough Voltage to be amplify the signal.....

These types of Tube pre"s are called "Starved Plate" designs were the tube actually isn"t used to amplify but to color the signal.......

Pluss you can"t buy a real Tube pre for that Price, Most are over $300 per channel.....

Cheers

shit people, all your doing is telling other people that they should buy the tupe pre, and or the dmp3 and then your telling them they should sell it...no wait keep it,...no wait sell it...no keep it...thought this site was for help, not for the the argument of what cheap mic pre will sound better then another. Your talking about shit under $150 bucks, if its not for you then sell it and get something else, don't make people stress out about it...all you guys know your shit, and all your doing is making me wonder which one to get....AND I DON'T EVEN WANT ONE...FUCK!

chestwick91 said:
shit people, all your doing is telling other people that they should buy the tupe pre, and or the dmp3 and then your telling them they should sell it...no wait keep it,...no wait sell it...no keep it...thought this site was for help, not for the the argument of what cheap mic pre will sound better then another. Your talking about shit under $150 bucks, if its not for you then sell it and get something else, don't make people stress out about it...all you guys know your shit, and all your doing is making me wonder which one to get....AND I DON'T EVEN WANT ONE...FUCK!

HAHA, you really think nobody on this site has ever argued over which cheap preamp is better?

cusebassman said:
The DMP-3 is better!

Oh wait... did someone already say that? :D

Wait, you mean you can actually hear a difference. You better not let amra catch you saying that.

Um...I just wanted to see what people's opinions were about what went wrong with it. Some of you guys are pretty touchy about your cheap pre's...

...I think I'm just going to throw it and my interface away, just record straight into the motherboard sound card...solid state baby.

pearldrum944 said:
Um...I just wanted to see what people's opinions were about what went wrong with it. Some of you guys are pretty touchy about your cheap pre's...

...I think I'm just going to throw it and my interface away, just record straight into the motherboard sound card...solid state baby.

What...were you running a tube interface or something?

Back