Tube spring reverb kit

rustman

I'm planning to build a tube spring reverb unit. What is your opinion about the spring tank decay lengths? Original Fender style has long decay, but the manufacturer has two choices; medium and long decay. Both tanks have three springs (8AB2A1B or 8AB3C1B). The cabinet has room for one tank.
My main use for it would be guitar, but in the studio you never know.
One option would be to buy both tanks and build a bigger cabinet with a switch for changing the tank. What do you think?

Are you building drive and recovery units from scratch, or is it all from kit?
I looked a SS effort a while ago. I never finished up but ecc83 gave me some good advice in the DIY forum.

I'm planning to build a Tube-Town kit. They are easily available in Europe with a stock 220V transformer.

All right! The reverb is ready and works fine. No hassle, reliable shopping. I bought the medium long decay tank. At the moment I have a feeling it's long enough.
I really should have got proper spring tube reverb years ago. I have rack and pedal reverbs and vst's but this is truly far superior to them. You need to do a little more work and planning at the recording stage, but the results can be really more impressive than with the digital stuff. I haven't tried it with mixing desk yet, but I guess it will work fine there as well.

Back