Tube PreAmps - Request

tube

I have just recieved the art mp and it has sovtek 12ax7wa tube. This is the same tube that comes in a lot of guitar amps. I may replace it with a sovtek 12ax7LPS, that stands for large plate spiral filament. My art mp seems very quiet, even though i've seen post about it being noisey. I did run a signal generator in the input and the signal did clip before the clip light came on. Another funny thing was the first sign of clipping was only the bottom half of the signal, more drive added the top half clipped. Could be design or balance of the two sections of the tube. Anyway, what i've heard so far sounds good to me. I'm one of those guys that reads the specs sheet, but then i make an airplane out of it.
Thats it !

Yeah, right. Who produces the spec sheets? The guys who make the product, right? I imagine conversations like this: "So, whaddaya think they'll be willing to believe about this one?"

Mo' Meek

Hey Chuck,

I've never mixed down through the VC3, though others I know have been very impressed with the results. I guess I could run the line out into the VC3 back into the line in. Might be an interesting experiment.

Re: Mo' Meek

Hi KaBudokan,

I like the results of having tubes involved in
the mixdown. When I come out of my Mackie, I hit
the tubes really hard, about 1/2 volume on the
input, and about 30% output. Seems like there
is much less problem with noise since there is
no mic involved. I actually have the red light
clipping. From there I go straight to my Tascam
CD burner and get commercial results. I mix my
effects in during the mixdown too. I always
record my initial tracks dry and flat. I'm
still favoring the meek unit on my next purchase.

Thanks much,
Chuck

Back