Tube PreAmps - Request

Well, both channels use the same single tube... I don't know... music gear is overpriced anyway, I don't think it's so impossible. How much does it cost to make circuitry in our age? I'm sure there's nothing special inside all of these things. I'll definitely return with more details. I've ordered another one to have a total of 4 channels, so I'll be able to judge even more fairly.

Wait a minute RE

Has music from "the Legend of Zelda: Ocarinia of Time" always been on the Davis Sound website?? That's kinda funny, I feel like I'm in the "Thieves Hideout" :D :D

-jhe

The BlueTube uses a single Sovtek 12AX7 tube. Reviews on it will be out in the magazines in a couple of months and I'm sure they will compare it to the ART units because they are in that 'budget' range. If I was to pay more than $500 on a pre-amp it would have to include a compressor and EQ.

VCQ6

I would like to hear from somebody who owns
a VCQ6 British channel Joe Meek preAmp. It is
in the $700. range and does have the EQ and
compressor. Recording magazine recommends it
for many instruments, including the acoustic
guitar. I'm ready to buy one of these units,
but would like to have some more assurance
from other recording people.

Thank,
Chuck

I might get my ass kicked...

...for repeating this in the same thread, but the Meek unit was one of the five combination units Mr Rowan at ProRec reviewed (see my thread in this forum called 'Combi Units Revisited' for the link). He said it colored the sound a lot, but in a very nice way for lots of things. He didn't try it on acoustic guitar I think. Dunno if it produces that silk soft sound you're looking for. Green silk maybe.

Reason For That Reply

Gear_Junky:

"Well, both channels use the same single tube..."

Well my DaviSound TB-3 does just that. From that link:

"We have done several UNIQUE things, circuit-wise, to give tube-lovers their "warmth". Our unusual technique employs just a single triode stage, one half of a 7025 (12AX7) per channel. This is the ubiquitous dual triode tube from days of old prefered for it's low noise and stability in low level applications.

Our manipulative circuit techniques force the tube into early overload with resulting asymetrical signal swing thus generating more of the desired EVEN-ORDER harmonics early on. Furthermore, our manipulations actually SUPPRESS the "nasty" odd-order harmonics ( those that are most audible, non-musical and, thereby, distasteful to the human ear). The result is a "silky, sweetness" which enhances the music signal through harmonic colorations. The processor, as it is gradually overdriven, actually behaves like a musical instrument generating warm, musical overtones which are FREQUENCY INDEPENDENT (unlike digital synthesis) throughout the entire audio spectrum!"

Same tube

Gear Junkey & RE,

Does the MP use the same tube also ?
How does two channels use the same tube
and stay seperate channels ?

Chuck

Oh, ok, RE. Actually I was replying to someone elses post and I just mentioned that perhaps that's how come it's so cheap. I wasn't implying that there's something extraordinary in sharing 1 tube. Thank you for info, though.

Yeah

The MP does use the same type of tube, 12AX7, but I don't know if it's a Sovtek tube or not. Most likely not since the site only says "A Hand Selected 12AX7".

As far as two channels through one tube:

The 12AX7 is a dual-triode tube. Each channel gets its own triode.

Before you get the Meek, make sure to check out these units...

Mindprint Envoice
Presonus VXP
ART Pro Channel
Focusrite Voicemaster Platinum

All of them are fine, FINE preamps.

The Envoice and the VXP are 24 bit capable (w/ optional card), and have built-in compressors and de-esser's. They're both LOADED with goodies!

The Pro Channel is extremely versatile. It's a great all-around unit for guitar or vocals.

The Focusrite is loaded with features and considered by many to be the one of the best preamps you can get for under $1,000.00 It's probably the most transparent and has the lowest noise level of the bunch.

I love the Meek unit, too... but, you might want to do some serious shopping around before you buy.
Make sure you know what's out there before you take the plunge.

Thanks again for the info...
I'm still checking on things...
The ART seems usable at the moment...

However, an email to ART brought a DIRECT response from one of the people who promptly gave me their phone number... Interesting...

They want me to discuss exactly what is going on with the unit...

I'll keep you all posted and thanks for all the great replies...

Riverdog

Shop around First

Hi Buck 62,

Thanks for your advise. I will check out
the units you mentioned. I like the desser
on board idea. I know some people use the
desser on their acoustic guitar to clip the
harsh harmonic edge.

Thanks again
Chuck

TUBE MP

I already said it somewhere... Tube MP doesn't use a Sovtek tube. I tried installing a Sovtek tube in mine and then the clip light stopped working, so I plugged the old one in and it worked again. Then I sold the Tube MP and bought me the Blue Tube :) I like it so far, but I have yet to play guitar, bass and stuff through it. I'll share...

I know I haven't done enough with it yet, but I also realize that some people want feedback. I was playing around with it, recording some vocals. I used my AKG C1000S straight into the Blue Tube, then into the Tascam 414, no effects or compression. When I maxed out the "Drive" knob I could tell right away that my voice sounds fuller, more pleasant (must be those even-harmonics). I think it's very nice and once you add compression and a little effects, it should be great. I really don't have anything to compare to, except the Tube MP (Blue Tube is better), but it's a nice STEREO unit for the money, definitely!
I'll be back with more followups.

The Meeks...

Hey Chuck, I have a Joe Meek VC3 and have to say I'm pretty happy with it right now. I am thinking about upgrading to a VC6 or VC1 at some point in the future. I have a slightly older VC3, not the VC3Q, so it has the enhance circuit instead of eq. I love the sound of it, but would like more control over the compressor than the VC3 offers. I know others who have the VC1 love it. The VC6q is about $450 - $500 street price, and the VC1 is about $600. If you're curious, check out the tune "Gladiolas" here:

http://www.mp3.com/TheShadyNeighbor

It's recorded with a Rode NT2 into the VC3, into a Mackie to an SB Live. Just acoustic and vocals, both recorded with that setup. I don't think there's any other eq on either. I didn't play around much with mic placement on the acoustic, so it's possible I may have gotten it better, but overall, it's a pretty good, simple sound. The VC3 definitely colors the sound, but it's nice and warm, and is great for a digital environment. The same setup is used on the acoustic and vox on "Half a Song" too, though I think I used the Antares Mic Modeler on the guitar on that one.

Shakes the Clown is a big fan of the VC1, and he has a link to his stuff around here somewhere too.

Re: The Meeks...

Hi KaBudokan,

Thanks for the MP3 example. I'll go there
and check you out. I'm feeling good about
Joe Meek now. I presently have some tracks
recorded through my Belarai. I wonder if
I can get some of the Joe Meek flavor
mixing those tracks down through the Joe
Meek unit ? Right know I mix through my ART
tube MP; it is between the board and my CD
burner. Have you tried mixing through Joe
Meek too ?