Too good for home recording?

pouxhawk

Always loved the idea behind the Distressor in that it can emulate the sound of many compressors. I have gassed to own one since they first came out. If just for the learning experience of experimenting with different compression techniques. I do like to track with a bit of compression, especially for vocals. On a one to ten scale, the rest of my equipment would be somewhere around the 4-6 range. Not top tier, but probably more than the average home recordist would have. I was just wondering if picking up a used EL8 would be a good idea or just too esoteric for a non-commercial, personal use home recording setup.

There's that whole "only as strong as your weakest link" thing, but there's also nothing wrong with having a few exceptionally strong links...

I have some really good gear in my home studio..U-67, KM-184's, Summit TLA 100, GR MP2NV, great guitars etc. That way, if I do something that sucks I can be sure it isn't the equipment ;). Actually, I used to be in a financial situation that allowed me to buy such things. Now that I am a working stiff, I haven't sold the gear off for lesser stuff. It's like, why buy a Corvette to take you to the grocery store? Cause it's cool and fun to have.. I myself am missing the motor gene...I get a woodie for gear, but most males can relate to the car metaphor.

It would be paired with a Bock 195/RE20/SM7/Beyer M500/ Royer R121, Oktava 319/ among others into UA-M610/ Grace101/ or True preamps which now I have working with dbx 160a or 1066 compressors. Guitars are Martin D41, Gibson LP & Es225T. Not really world class stuff by a long shot but way overkill for my talent level. Thank you guys so much for the input. olduncledino

I agree with the above....nothing wrong with buying "up" if your budget allows.
Some will say that more expensive gear doesn't really bring anything extra to the table over the less expensive stuff other than the higher cost and the hype, and that you can overcome any gear shortcomings purely with "experience"...but that's not always the case, IMO.
I've always tried to upgrade my studio when possible, even if it only ads an extra 10% to the sonic quality...and like Tom Paul above, I really enjoy audio gear...always have. I can drool over audio gear endlessly... :D

Sounds like it would be a fun thing for you try out if you've been thinking about it for years.

I think for the time being I'll hold off on getting a distressor. The one I was looking at is still available on the Washington DC Craigslist if anyone is interested. After looking at what I have and what my capabilities are it seems that I should be looking into preamps instead of compressors. I have quite a few decent microphones which are obviously quite useless without appropriate places to plug them in. The time will come when something like the EL8 will be a smart buy, but for the next compressor purchase I think I'll look into something simpler like perhaps FMR's PB6A. In the mean time I'll work at getting better with the things I already own. Thank's for all the well thought out responses. You guys are freaking great! olduncledino... By the way, if theres anyone in the DC area who needs/wants some hands on assistance with setting up or recording, please don't hesitate in contacting me. I'll grab my box-o-mics and be there whenever you need me... oud

Is there anything you don't like about the m610? I'm sort of looking at a channel strip that has a 610 based pre.

I can only give a stellar review of the M610 that I have. That being said, I obviously can't comment on its appropriateness for your purposes or whether the later versions of the 610 preamp are similar or completely different animals. Mine is one of the first ones, and they were discontinued fairly soon after I purchased it. For what I use it on its been simply outstanding. I would recommend giving yourself more than a few hours to audition the unit you're considering. I didn't really appreciate my 610 until I used it on a variety of things over a period of time. Be well, Pouxhawk

I like my LA610MKII which has that 610 pre. The EQ is really responsive but smooth and I like its stepped switches.

The unit you have wasn't available when I got my M610. If it had been I'm sure I would have considered it instead. I hear a lot of folks disparaging the 610 and its various incarnations but I couldn't be happier with mine.
The only downsides are that its so damn big for a preamp only device, and that being a tube device I'm leery of taking it on location. If I had my druthers, I would have a couple of ten slot API enclosures full of 500 series modules for use on the road. But alas, that ain't happening any time soon.
Be well, olduncledino

Back