Toft atc-2.

Gorty

I ordered one today. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Anyone here have one? If so what are your opinions.

Attachments

• atc2_large.jpg
    atc2_large.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 90
For the money, there isn't much better out there. True, the preamps are "decent" and the compression circuit is also. The EQ is spectacular (which one would expect from Mr. Toft).

That's one of those pieces that always catches my eye. I'm looking forward to hearing about it after you've had a chance to dig into it a bit.

had one, sold it, held its value. the Speck eq is better and the pres are...eh, comp is nothin special. All in all a nice strip but nothin over the top.

I just picked one up on eBay for $729, shipping included.

The guy said he used it only on two projects...and needed the $$$ (he was selling several other high-end pieces). It looks like new and in the original box with plastic/foam and manual.

It was kind of a impulse purchase...but I was looking for another pre to add to the rack, and while this isn't noted for its preamp, all the reviews I read said the pres and comp were pretty decent...but the EQ certainly made up for any deficiencies.
Seeing how they're going for $1150 new at most outlets...I figure it's not a bad score all around.

From what I read...it seems that you need to really hit this unit pretty hard to get good results out of the pre and comp...so maybe that's why those two items have gotten some mixed reviews…maybe folks are not giving it a hot-enough signal…???
Apparently the comp is especially sensitive to the input, from what I've read...since the threshold is automatically set…..and some people say the pre starts to sound pretty good at about 3:00 on the gain.

Anyway...I bought it now...so I'll see how it fits in with my other pres/comps/EQs.
I guess I should have it by the end of next week.

Sort of - If he'd just yank the preamp and calibrate the EQ... I don't see him doing it (as it would turn an $800 piece into a $2,000 piece that about a dozen people on the planet would even give a rat's rear end about), but it's nice to think about...

Yeah, they've kinda gone for a modular approach to the whole Toft PMI line, in fact given that Allan Bradford is also a Brit I'd bet the Joemeek line looks very similar inside to Malcolm's stuff. With different EQs and comps, certainly, but the pres are almost certainly near-identical .... all of which saves money I imagine, and the Toft stuff seems very well priced considering the PMI support reputation.

I'm rambling but yes, you're probably right that they need to keep the range simple and pitch it to the centre to make the prices work for both sellers and buyers. Never know what might happen if you throw an idea out with Malcolm or Alan Hyatt though!

Is that a good or bad support reputation...?

It has always been superb- these forums have detailed many examples of out of warranty products being replaced, and PMI have always been easy to contact and helpful. I have met the Hyatts and Messrs Bradford and Toft and all are deeply enthusiastic about music and recording (well, duh).

It has always been superb- these forums have detailed many examples of out of warranty products being replaced, and PMI have always been easy to contact and helpful. I have met the Hyatts and Messrs Bradford and Toft and all are deeply enthusiastic about music and recording (well, duh).

Good to know.

I exchanged emails with the Hyatts way back when I purchased a few products that PMI were just the destributors for...

Joe Meek SC2.2
CLM Dynamics DB400S Mic Pre
CLM Dynamics DB 500S Expounder EQ

...but this Toft ATC2 will be the first product from them where they are also the underlying manufacturer.

Back