Thoughts on my preamps?

I have to interject...but you need more than 2 channels to record drums alone...if you have to not make another purchase in 2 years...get an 8 channel.

Why even ask at this point...the line6 UX8 is a high reccomendation from me...we are talking value here...if you amassed the variety of pres it sounds like...then took that times 8...you would be out tens of thousands of dollars...but I bought one for $350 at guitar center recently.

The modeling is top notch nowdays...a far cry from what you heard years ago with the POD...its done by your computer now...plus you get instrument inputs that also model the top guitar and bass amps with Amp Farm.

I output mine into an Akai DPS24...but it can be used as an computer interface with the version of Abelton live that comes with it.

This is the dream we have all been waiting for arround here...but Im the only one who has made this purchase.:rolleyes:

I've just ordered a Telefunken 12AX7 and GE long plate 12AX7 from BOWIE for my MPA Gold.

I'll see how I get on with these when they arrive.

I'm also interested in the GAP PRE73. It had a great review in Sound On Sound which has got me curious.

Does anyone know how this would compare to my M-Audio Tampa in tone?
I could afford to sell the Tampa and get the PRE 73 if it's worth the trade?

Coo, keep us updated. I really like my new BLA Auteut, look into it. Tons of thread on gs.

Will do!

I like the look of the Auteur but it's out of my budget.

My plan for the moment is firstly to see how I get on with the new tubes in my MPA Gold. I'm then gonna hang on and wait for the PRO MPA II release. If the noise has been noticeably improved over the MPA Gold then I may go for this. If not, I still have the option for go for the GAP PRE73.
If I find these options not worth going for I'll probably upgrade Cubase to v5.0.

Will do!

I like the look of the Auteur but it's out of my budget.

My plan for the moment is firstly to see how I get on with the new tubes in my MPA Gold. I'm then gonna hang on and wait for the PRO MPA II release. If the noise has been noticeably improved over the MPA Gold then I may go for this. If not, I still have the option for go for the GAP PRE73.
If I find these options not worth going for I'll probably upgrade Cubase to v5.0.

I don't know man I got mine on the GS classifieds for 375 shipped us dollars.

Hi,

I am currently using a ART MPA Gold, M-Audio Tampa and DMP3 as my pres.
I mainly record just vocals.

When I originally bought the ART I intended to upgrade the tubes based on hearing various clips with NOS Telefunken ecc83's in.
However since then I've also considered selling all my pres and get something like an Audient Mico or secondhand DAV BG-1.

Thing is, I really like having different sounding pres to suit different vocalists so I'm REALLY torn as to whether I should upgrade the tubes or buy something else.

Would I expect to hear a big difference with the Mico or Dav if I'm only recording a few audio tracks?
I thought that the difference would be more noticeable when stacking lots of audio tracks?

I know this an old thread but when Sound On Sound magazine did a shootout of top mic pres and some budget ones in blind tests with readers they were shocked that the ART MPA beat Neve, API, Maselec etc... they used Brauner, Sennheiser and Royer mics.

I think it is the driver not the car here. most modern mic pres including budget ones if well designed perform as well as top boutique designs. Blind tests often reveal this truth. We are all impressed by livery price tag and big names when it should be about mic placement and proper gain setting. You can download the samples here for yourelves and read the article it is quite revealing.

Preamp post-mortem

I had an ART MPA....it was OK, but kind of dark dull sounding, and of all the other pres in my rack it got the least amount of use, so I sold it.
I did my own mic/pre shoot out, and it confirmed why I used the ART the least.
Of course, "in its optimum range" it could certainly get the job done. That said, I've never really missed it.

I do have a pair of ART VLA comps that I really like and do use often, so I'm not a snob about using ART gear.

I know this an old thread but when Sound On Sound magazine did a shootout of top mic pres and some budget ones in blind tests with readers they were shocked that the ART MPA beat Neve, API, Maselec etc... they used Brauner, Sennheiser and Royer mics.

I think it is the driver not the car here. most modern mic pres including budget ones if well designed perform as well as top boutique designs. Blind tests often reveal this truth. We are all impressed by livery price tag and big names when it should be about mic placement and proper gain setting. You can download the samples here for yourelves and read the article it is quite revealing.

Preamp post-mortem

I did my own tests and my hardware wasnt even needed. Sure it can be a vybe choice of working, but thats about it imo.

Speaking of the old stuff, I saw a junky pile of crap Neve thing at GC today (for $2500), it looked old and rotty and is probably why someone sold it.....once the "magic spell" wears off and you realize you can match the sound with other ways (sometimes for much less $$$), I would think some of it gets moved out for someone else to buy it.

you get some gain, eq, comp, reverb etc...and its probably good enough to track.

its like wine tasting, some claim to tell which costs $$$$, most blindfolded can't.

ITB and plugs are so powerful these days, and hardrive recording versus old tape machines, unlimited tracks on $40 DAW versus old standalone cassette's.... they all have their moment.

having a bunch of knobs to turn and sliders has its attraction, but Im not sure its sound.

Ethans Audio Myth video-
https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...winer+youtube&fr2=sb-top-search&fr=chrf-yff30

Preamp post-mortem

That is not strictly accurate. The ART did not "beat" anything in fact nothing beat anything else.

Once the data was in the results showed that IN THIS SET OF CIRCUMSTANCES* it was not possible for people to tell with any statistically validity which pre amp was used with which microphone. This came as shock to many and no surprise to quite a few others!

Those responsible for the tests and the article are at great pains to point out that most high end preamps are in fact good value for money when you consider their features (over and above a simple voltage amplifier) build quality and longevity.

*These were that the amplifiers were NOT used at gains or levels that would introduce any "character" into the sound...Another time we hope!

Dave.

I think this was the point in the end... "Don't be bullied into thinking that you can't make good recordings on affordable equipment. You can." SOS

"Above all, though, it must be pointed out that a good number of readers admitted to being unable to hear any significant difference between the preamps, and even those who heard differences admitted they were very subtle." SOS

All the tests I have done over years, I fall into this category too. pretty subtle if anything.
Convertors, preamps, etc...I cant tell a difference and definitely not a $3000 difference. Like Ethans video proved, a lot is pure psychology mind tricks. I dont think that knowledge, being aware of mind tricks, takes away from owning a cool vintage 1957 STraocaster, or old LA2A rack units with rotting capacitors that might need replaced. Some people can afford all that hassle and can afford a museum collection, its great stuff classic iconic gear...

I'd think the "pro's" love top slap a Nueman into a UA Preamp and LA2A with Pultec EQ ready for a vox track and nail it quickly.. because they have the gear at their dispose. Why would they put Eric Clapton on a Behringer solid state amplifier if they have a Fort Knox of gear, of course not.
But its funny most blind fold test show most of us cant easily tell the difference between a Epiphone or a Gibson LP. blahblahblah...

the other psychology trip tat gets me currently is "why the room doesnt get the gear lust?"
is it panels are not shiny enough? is it because Chris Lorde Alge and Quincy Jones and the Beatles didnt talk about how Fiberglass 703 panels made them famous and rich? Is it because the Panels dont have a Name Brand logo that says ABBEY ROAD FOAM or CAPITOL RECORDING STUDIO'S FIBERGLASS?
Is it the Marketing Army hasnt worked us into a name brand brainwashing yet for Fiberglass panels and dispersion panels?

Attachments

• OC703.png
    OC703.png
    471.7 KB · Views: 30
Back