Thinking of upgradng to a rack mount set up. Help?

ATWCE

Hey guys so its been a while! Im thinking its about time to upgrade and would love some help on what i should go for.

At the moment, i'm running through a pod ux1 which ive had for years straight into my new 27" mac with logic pro x and as you can imagine, im not quite getting the tones i want. I mean, they are ok, but i want more.

I was thinking of going down the axe fx route but it just seems so expensive for what it is! But recently i've been looking at the line 6 pod hd pro x and for the money it seems like a great option. What do you guys think of it?

Im a complete newbie and am literally learning as i go along so basically i need to know if i need anything else in order to run it, or is it possible to just plug it straight into the mac and record from there?

Any tips would be amazing so thank you in advance.

Simon

Im now thinking of adding the focusrite scarlett 2i2 aswell, will i need to connect them through xlr or can i use 1/4" jack leads? I think this seems like a decent set up but id love to hear what people think or if you have any alternatives for home guitar recording with the occasional vocal recording?

With recording you can't feel as much as you can live. The Line 6 Pro or the Axe Fx both will work, as long as you know how to play guitar. Put it in a rack, if you don't like the tuner on it, put a rack tuner in the rack, then you need a midi controller so you can control it, put one of those on the floor. May find more and more as you go that put in the rack. But you don't want it all in there at once or you won't understand what's doing or might risk, just throwing a rack together, for the lust of the rack.

If you are recording with Logic, rather you use the Pod or axe fx you are going to get really good tones. Is it true that the axe fx does more? Yes. But how many tones do you need? How many effects do you need? For me, I use an 1101 running through a mesa fifty/fifty power amp through a mesa cab. With a midi controller. Rack tuner.

Now, recording with Logic, I don't use any of the cabs, Nor do I use the power amp because that doesn't make sense unless you just feel like you have to mic the cab because you believe the listener will hear that difference. There is only so much that translates through the recording audio. I used to mic mine up and record. The more I did it, the more I realized, you'd have to be extremely nit picking to find out that I mic'd a cab instead of just ran that thing directly into it.

The same does not stand live for me. Live, I need something to push to pre amp, that's the sound, something has to push it and make it sound loud for the crowd. Sure... Some could say, run it through the PA. But the PA doesn't do the same thing. It doesn't have that brutal sound going on it's just a clear speaker making the pre amp louder. The goal isn't to make it louder. The goal is to make people feel it.

Just plug it straight into the interface, and then into the mac. For recording that's all there is to it. As far as making it sound good, that has a lot to do with the recording process, there is no perfect tone that makes everything sound like, that's the tone that makes the song work in a recording. Everything else counts. The bass guitar for example counts. If there is no bass, no matter how much low end the guitar has, there is no bass and it'll sound like the guitar playing with drums. A good recording has low end, mid instruments, which is the guitar, and the drums.

The axe fx is an amazing unit. But don't let people over sell you. Simply all it is, is a ton of amp models that sound as realistic as possible and they've achieved making it feel more realistic. The others, used to just sound realistic but didn't feel realistic. They've made it feel realistic.

But you can't record feeling. I know that sounds like an epic thing to do. But you can't.

I seen a guy once record an album on a roland cube. And because he understood recording and how it works, if you told someone that was an axe fx they'd believe it without even doubting it. Now it doesn't mean the roland cube sounds better, it doesn't. It's understanding what's happening when you are recording and how the frequencies work.

Fill all frequencies, except the bad ones. Too low, which allows you to not hear the mids, then it's a bad one. Too high which over powers the mids, it's a bad one. That's why we EQ.

Back