Is there any behringer gear that is "good"?

hand in glove

Hey There Guys,

I'm not the huggest fan of behringer gear, though kinda never really owned any behringer stuff, only ever used and what i have used seems to work ok. Though it provokes a question in my mind.

Is there any behringer gear that is actually really good for what you pay for it?

I've only really otherwise been interested in their headphone amp HA4700 because alot of my university mates have one and they say its good for its purpose, but anything to do with the signal is to be avoided where possible.

So yeah, any guys here have 0.02 cents to spare on behringer gear, ie. EQ, Compressors, etc... that is actually worth what they paid for?
OR
Is it simply a just a terd on the sidewalk?

Actualy, their control surfaces can't be beat for the money. 8 Motorized faders for 20% the price of anyne else's. And since it doesn't affect sound quality, they're technically they're just as cean as using one at $2,000+.

hand in glove said:
been interested in their headphone amp HA4700

The HA4700 is a great headphone amp. I have had mine for 3 years with no issues.
Also I like the V-Amps and the ADA8000.

I also have a compressor and the omni mics. The compressor never gets used unless I an using it when doing FOH.

Also I just picked up the Truth B2031p monitors for $120. Great sounding.

Veladyne pro is a pretty good piece for multi compression in the mastering stage...but if you master with computer theres soft ones that are just as good.

I only have a few pieces of Behri gear, and I would buy them again if I lost them.

DCX2496 digital crossover
Ultradyne 9024 multiband compressor
Shark DSP

I've had a Pro-8 HA8000 for 5 years. Thing works great. It'll push 16 pairs of headphones if needed.

Gotta watch where you put it in the rack tho...it generates alot of heat. You could make grilled cheese sandwiches on that box when it's been workin hard.

I have one of their switchable patchbays...it came in a rack box I bought. It works pretty well too.

TeyshaBlue said:
I've had a Pro-8 HA8000 for 5 years. Thing works great. It'll push 16 pairs of headphones if needed.

Gotta watch where you put it in the rack tho...it generates alot of heat. You could make grilled cheese sandwiches on that box when it's been workin hard.

I have one of their switchable patchbays...it came in a rack box I bought. It works pretty well too.

I have the same box, works great, doesn't sound great but has tons of gain.

I've found the Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro 2496 to be quite useful for its metering. I use the RTA a fair amount as well. Haven't even run a signal through it yet, just using it for the meters.

Well, I once did 20 minutes worth of research and found at least a dozen honest to goodness NAME pros that use all kinds of Behringer gear, live and on record. Of course even though the proof was right infront of their eyes, via links and quotes from books that could easily be verified, for whatever reason some still try to explain it away as nonsense, one offs, out of context, etc., etc., etc. In the end it's all out there in internet land and there are plenty of pros who find many peices of Behringer gear worthy. One who always sticks in my mind is David Bowies producer who has been using Behringer compressors for years in the studio (read it in Behind The glass). You must ask yourself, why would he pick Behringer when he could and no doubt has used any high end compressor he wants?

For me, I use an old Behringer compressor (forget what model) and the V-Verb, which imo is by far the best multi FX unit in the "entry level" field.

It's not that they make bad-sounding stuff, inherently. It's just that you kinda' have to be willing to play Russian roulette and hope you get something that isn't broken or ready to break shortly.

So many idiots come on this board and say: "I got the Bear-ringer ultra thingamagiggy, and it worked out of the box, and has held up for 100 years."

And they try and use that to lend some sort of proof that their gear is good or something. :D Well on that note, I suppose I could run out in the middle of the freeway and start breakdancing ... and if I were to come back unskathed, I could tell everyone how safe dancing in the middle of the freeway truly is. Pointing out an isolated incident does nothing to support an argument. Whether or not I get hit by a semi ... running out in the middle of the feeway is not a good idea.

And neither is buying Behringer gear. It's mostly crap. Buy something better.

Then I guess I am "one of those idiots." So be it. It works for me and the only thing I have ever had break is a lead to the battery in a DI Box, which was easily fixed.

The ADA8000 is 8 channels of the IMP Mic/Line preamp and it has ADAT out. It was the cheapest way to get more mic inputs of my Digi001. It does not have the depth of my RNC, but I think it is fine. It always works for me and it did a good job of capturing the drums and a couple of other instruments of our band live. It hasn't lasted "100 years," but it has lasted 1 and for $200, I am willing to play Russian Roulette. I can't afford the $700 or whatever they are asking for the other 8 input/ADAT out units and I want to record NOW. I am not selling it anytime soon. I do have to add that when I bought it at GC, even the sales motivated help was warning me left and right about that unit not being very consistent in quality from one unit to the other.

I had a 2404 mixer and althought the pots were a little touchy, it served me well too. At least I was recording and even able to get 4 simultaneous channels going into a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. The Behringer mixer was WAY quieter and cleaner than a "semi-pro" Tascam mixer I had sitting around from the 80's.

It's not state of the art and maybe I have a bullet in the chamber even as we speak, but it is affordable NOW. This is homerecording.com after all. I am never going to be a project studio and a lot of the other folks here are not either.

Bill

Last edited:
I've had no problems with my Behringer UB1002 and UB1204PRO mixers. Especially the "PRO" is a great thing for my band practices and gigs. I don't think the EQ is quite as 'musical' as they describe it, but as I said, for practices and small gigs it's just fine. Love the many outputs and routing options (thankyou Mackie? ;-))

A friend of mine has used the V-AMP 2 extensively, I found it sounding very versatile, though by far not as good as my VOX AD30VT (which could have been because of the monitor speaker he was using too, probably!), but now many of the knobs and buttons don't work anymore. We both have a MIC200 "tube" mic preamp, which I only use for colouring some stuff. I sometimes use it for my Acoustic guitar (12 string) for gigs. I'm satisfied with this unit as well.

Cheers
Stan.

i have the ada8000, mdx1400 compressor, ha4700, bcf2000 control surface, and a bass halfstack. its not crap at all, people are just ignorant :)

its not the best, fine, but its great low end stuff.

stanjanssen said:
I've had no problems with my Behringer UB1002 and UB1204PRO mixers.

Look, buddy. Just because you have a piece of B gear that you, personally, did not find to be a big, fat distasteful pile of shit ... does not mean that said product is not, in fact, a horrible disgusting angry pile of smelly shit to a thousand other people.

What about all the other innocent people who bought those gawd-awful offensive mixers, only to have them break down the second they plugged them in?

Toss that piece of crap in the garbage and get something decent. Same goes to you, Tragik, and whatever that offensive junk is that you were just championing.

chessrock said:
It's not that they make bad-sounding stuff, inherently. It's just that you kinda' have to be willing to play Russian roulette and hope you get something that isn't broken or ready to break shortly.

So many idiots come on this board and say: "I got the Bear-ringer ultra thingamagiggy, and it worked out of the box, and has held up for 100 years."

And they try and use that to lend some sort of proof that their gear is good or something. :D Well on that note, I suppose I could run out in the middle of the freeway and start breakdancing ... and if I were to come back unskathed, I could tell everyone how safe dancing in the middle of the freeway truly is. Pointing out an isolated incident does nothing to support an argument. Whether or not I get hit by a semi ... running out in the middle of the feeway is not a good idea.

And neither is buying Behringer gear. It's mostly crap. Buy something better.

Every post on this page other than yours is a success story to some extent using Behringer gear. No complaints, at least yet..... I know lots of folks here who use it and it seems to work okay. I don't hear about problems with it, (although I have to admit GC DID stop carrying most of their stuff.....) But it's like antihype, the exact opposite of "you just HAVE to get this new condenser mic. No..... I haven't heard it, but everyone says it sounds like a _______." The negative spin doesn't seem based on anything other than hearsay. Even DOT recommends one of their preamps as being a good value and I don't think he would recommend it if he knew it was going to break 30 days after someone bought it.

To dismiss it as "mostly crap" when it is letting a bunch of poor musicians get their ideas recorded right now seems a bit much.

Behringer has a GREAT ability to look and see precisely what home recordists need and build that exact tool for a more than reasonable price. I am thankful for that. .........maybe I should go work for them..... hey, Ubi!

Bill

I have a b control and an HA4700... They work and that's good enough

One must remember though that one of the major problems people have the Beri is their backwards engineering... They've been known to rip other companies (like Mackie) products off and make cheaper, sometimes less consistent versions.

I don't like their unethical business practices, which is why I don't like them. I have no complaints about any of their gear that I've used, but now I know about their crookedness I won't buy from them anymore.

Jacob

Just kidding, guys. I was just trying to start the usual flame war that ensues as a result of mentioning Behringer gear. :D

I have one of the headphone amps that works great, and a pair of Truths that I use as a second set of monitors -- mostly for casual listening, etc. And I actually think they're very usable monitors, and wouldn't have any problem, whatsoever, if I was forced to mix with them.

Back