Temporal Harmonic Alignment

Middleman

Professional Amateur
M-Audio has a new mic pre called the Tampa. It has something called Temporal Harmonic Alignment. Is this when the planets are lined up during the vernal equinox and your sound takes on an ethereal tonality?

What the heck is Temporal Harmonic Alignment?

Tamburine Hardon Aliens?

From their wesite:
Temporal Harmonic Alignment —the bullshit behind the sound:

In natural sound sources such as strings, drum heads and vocal chords, harmonics share a characteristic temporal (bullshit) relationship to the fundamental. Our ears exhibit the same bullshit. Solid state electronics induce bullshit in the form of additional bullshit that are out of phase with the original bullshit. Tube-based devices strike the ear as having such a “warm” sound because the added bullshit have the same temporal relationship as natural bullshit (although predominantly in the brownrange). This results in a sweet spot that makes salespitches, audio-hype and other bullshit-rich content sound especially pleasing. TAMPA’s revolutionary new Temporal Harmonic Alignment bullshit produces that same bullshit relationship found in both bullshit and lies. And unlike tubes, TAMPA’s sweet spot spans the full spectrum of your bullshit.

I understand that if you use the Tampa Temporal Harmonic Alignment with a BBE for Frequency Alignment and Monster Time Alignment cables with the polarity reversed you can actually hear the sound before it is generated.

Iheard about that once, where was that.....

Ohhh.....

Star Trek, yeah that's it.

No really, it's the kind of bulshit that 99.9% of HomeRec and 75% ProRec engineers have no use for, or give a shit about.

You can buy a sheet metal screw for 5 cents, but I can sell you a Specialized Self-Drilling Rotary Plane Fastening Device for 2 bucks, if you're the right kind of sucker.

Re: Tamburine Hardon Aliens?

regebro said:
From their wesite:

In natural sound sources such as strings, drum heads and vocal chords, harmonics share a characteristic temporal (bullshit) relationship to the fundamental. Our ears exhibit the same bullshit. Solid state electronics induce bullshit in the form of additional bullshit that are out of phase with the original bullshit. Tube-based devices strike the ear as having such a “warm” sound because the added bullshit have the same temporal relationship as natural bullshit (although predominantly in the brownrange). This results in a sweet spot that makes salespitches, audio-hype and other bullshit-rich content sound especially pleasing. TAMPA’s revolutionary new Temporal Harmonic Alignment bullshit produces that same bullshit relationship found in both bullshit and lies. And unlike tubes, TAMPA’s sweet spot spans the full spectrum of your bullshit.

You are ragging a product you have never heard and know nothing about.
People spend millions of dollars on their businesses to develop products, and asswipes like yourself rag them before they're even on the market.

The TAMPA Pre was designed with Aspen Pittman consulting.

http://www.midiman.net/news/interviews/aspen-part1.php

He designed Groove Tube Mics, Amps, and arguably the worlds best tube preamp, The Groove Tubes Vipre.
I think he knows what sounds good.
Here's Fletcher's review of the Vipre.
http://www.mercenary.com/groovetubes.html
This is the pre Fletcher says would be the one if you must use only one pre at a gig.
With brain power such as this on a project, this could be a special unit for homereccers.
But you've got a better idea...
let's bad-mouth it before it's release, to the point where no one will even look at it after it is released.
I understand you might have been had by misleading marketing before...
but until it's released, and you've heard the unit, you dont know shit.
But don't let that stop you...
:mad:
C

No, silly, I'm bitchin at their stupid salespitch.

You should learn to differ between the sales pitch and the product, and there is a lesser chance that you get ripped off.

I expect it sounds excellent. After all, it costs a smaller fortune at $800.

I understand you might have been had by misleading marketing before...

Nope, because as you can see, I see right through it. :)

I understand that if you use the Tampa Temporal Harmonic Alignment with a BBE for Frequency Alignment and Monster Time Alignment cables with the polarity reversed you can actually hear the sound before it is generated.

Only if you're within half a parsec of a wormhole. Get it right man!

regardless of what buzzwords they attach to it, I have faith in M-Audio, as every piece of equipment I have from them has been a good investment, especially at their price point. Perhaps the TAMPA is where their moment in the sun wanes, but even so, they're innocent until proven guilty in my book.

regebro said:
No, silly, I'm bitchin at their stupid salespitch.

You should learn to differ between the sales pitch and the product, and there is a lesser chance that you get ripped off.
I suggest you should learn that for yourself, before you rag products you've never heard.
:rolleyes:
C

Re: Tamburine Hardon Aliens?

regebro said:
From their wesite:

Could not have said it better.

:D :D :D

Generally there is an inverse relationship between how much marketing a given product gets and how useful it is.

TexRoadkill said:
I like the way your twisted mind works Tex!:D

Still laughing 5 mins after reading regebro's and texroadkill's comments...those were priceless...
...anyway, as for the preamp itself...I'd hazard a guess given my experience with some other M-Audio gear that it will hold it's own quite nicely, but I do slightly question all the 'temporal harmonic alignment' buzzword use. It's been well known for years that even-order harmonics tend to sound smoother to our ears, odd-order tend to sound harsher, tubes tend to be even and solid-state tend to be odd, but neither circuit type is exclusively one or the other...and skillful circuit design can shape the harmonics of either type. It's not (as the marketing blitz wants you to believe) a concept M-Audio invented or was first to employ.

Still nice to see variable-impedence on another sub $1000 preamp though...improved features continue to fall in price.
-Frank

Back