Tell me if you guys think this was a good deal. Ebay content.

Since you ask. The model looks pretty decent, Seagate drive, firewire and 7200 RPM. What I didn't notice in my very cursory reading was how old it was and how it had been used. Unlike other electronics, hard drives do actually wear out. Not a question of if, rather a question of when. Unless it was a refurb (which I have purchased in the past), I personally would be leary of buying a used HD unless I knew its provenance. My 2 cents.

Seems pretty avarage price for new hard drives in general...I dont really see the box making it that special...but if you like it its fine.

I just bought a 1.5 terrabyte one for about $200...but I do alot of video editing too.

Seems pretty avarage price for new hard drives in general...I dont really see the box making it that special...but if you like it its fine.

I just bought a 1.5 terrabyte one for about $200...but I do alot of video editing too.

I bought it because I thought glyphs were supposed to be real good for audio and thought I had to have one that was 7500rpm. I couldn't really find any in my budget. What kind did you get darrin?

Hey smartass....I didn't say anything about being musical. I said that it was my understanding that I needed one with 7200rpm and I also needed firewire. Fucking smartass.

Since you ask. The model looks pretty decent, Seagate drive, firewire and 7200 RPM. What I didn't notice in my very cursory reading was how old it was and how it had been used. Unlike other electronics, hard drives do actually wear out. Not a question of if, rather a question of when. Unless it was a refurb (which I have purchased in the past), I personally would be leary of buying a used HD unless I knew its provenance. My 2 cents.

Don't talk about bad hard drives please!! I had a 500 GB Maxtor die on me a few months ago. I had about 3 GB left when it went. Very hard to find Cd's of The Doors, Beatles, Hendrix, led and a lot more. But all is not lost, I called the manufacture and was told I could have them take the info off the drive for a cost of 1.500.00 to 2k What a deal. I guess that's what backups are for.

Hey smartass....I didn't say anything about being musical. I said that it was my understanding that I needed one with 7200rpm and I also needed firewire. Fucking smartass.

Not being a smart ass...just asking...Id think that the higher the numbers the better anyhow...everything Ive had has been either a 7200 rpm or a 10Krpm with 8mb cashe at least...but Ive allways recorded to the internal HD and only backed up to the external...so FW isnt that much of a big deal...might even add unnessesary cost to the unit.

BTW...you can be a little more cool about things...you answer everyone like that...nobody is going to like you.

A little thicker skin there, he's just making a joke. :cool:

You can get 1TB internal drives for ~$100 these days. Sata's have a transfer rate of 3GB/sec(?). That's a whole lot faster than 800MB/sec with FW.

I'd recommend using the glyph for backup and getting a second internal drive.

And all this talk of hard drives is reminding me I've got to institute some kind of routine back-up scheme. Can you say Russian Roulette?? I know DodgeAspen can!! :D

peace.

A little thicker skin there, he's just making a joke. :cool:

You can get 1TB internal drives for ~$100 these days. Sata's have a transfer rate of 3GB/sec(?). That's a whole lot faster than 800MB/sec with FW.

I'd recommend using the glyph for backup and getting a second internal drive.

And all this talk of hard drives is reminding me I've got to institute some kind of routine back-up scheme. Can you say Russian Roulette?? I know DodgeAspen can!! :D

peace.

I think that all audio and video editing software should automatically back up to 2 HDs everytime you close out of it...they should write that into the software and let you configure it that way...like they say...digital info doesnt officially exist unless it is in 2 places.

My apologies for the harsh words. It did seem to boost this thread though lol! Thanks for the input guys, and again, sorry Darrin for the quick bash lol.

The problem is I only have like 5gb left on my internal hd...which is an apple ibook. Last time I looked hds for it were pretty high so I bought an external unit. Nothing worse than finding out you made a crappy purchase when you don't have that much money to spend lol.

The problem is I only have like 5gb left on my internal hd...which is an apple ibook. Last time I looked hds for it were pretty high so I bought an external unit. Nothing worse than finding out you made a crappy purchase when you don't have that much money to spend lol.

i see nothing wrong with that drive. anyone mentioning that sata drives are faster is not realizing that you can't use a sata drive with your laptop. unfortunately for you hard drives are a little more difficult than people that use a tower.

also i would not use a usb drive for music even if usb 2.0 is supposedly just as fast as firewire...because the reality is that it is not. it's highest speeds are not useable in both directions and it is a host based system which means that it puts more stress on the processor. usb drives are best to be used for backups.

what interface and DAW are you using? that drive is approved by digidesign for use with protools le just in case thats what you are using. also i would recommend, that since your ibook only has one firewire port, that you hook it up like this. computer > hard drive > interface. it will work much better like that most of the time.

Hey thanks alot for the reply bud. Yeah I'm using Pro Tools with an M-Audio FW1814 Interface. You a WSP fan Second Skin?

i see nothing wrong with that drive. anyone mentioning that sata drives are faster is not realizing that you can't use a sata drive with your laptop. unfortunately for you hard drives are a little more difficult than people that use a tower.

also i would not use a usb drive for music even if usb 2.0 is supposedly just as fast as firewire...because the reality is that it is not. it's highest speeds are not useable in both directions and it is a host based system which means that it puts more stress on the processor. usb drives are best to be used for backups.

what interface and DAW are you using? that drive is approved by digidesign for use with protools le just in case thats what you are using. also i would recommend, that since your ibook only has one firewire port, that you hook it up like this. computer > hard drive > interface. it will work much better like that most of the time.

I thought you ran Interface to cpu and hd to interface? Is this wrong? Seems like you'd have latency issues if it had to travel through the external drive.

I thought you ran Interface to cpu and hd to interface? Is this wrong? Seems like you'd have latency issues if it had to travel through the external drive.

it has been my experience that it works better the way i said. i've used so far an ibookG4 w/1.2ghz processor with an mbox2 pro and currently have an imac with a digi003r.

both of these computers only have one firewire400 port which of course means that the whole rig needs run off of that. in both cases i've found it to work better with the HD in between the computer and interface. meaning that i've been able to achieve higher track and plugin counts with fewer buffer underuns and less latency. on my current system i experience virtually no noticeable latency and almost never have to worry about underuns and such as long as i don't use a lot of greedy plugins such as too many reverbs and the like.

Back