Teen on a Budget Looking at getting more inputs

CheapGeek

Hi everyone!

I am a newbie to recording and all, I have been recording with PreSonus Studio One Artist 2 and my interface is the AudioBox USB. It has 2 XLR inputs but I have been recording my band lately and we like to record live, so I have been micing my entire band with 2 mics... not getting what I want. I would really like to be able to have about 8 inputs but the deal is that I am on a very....very....very.... tight budget.

I understand that if I want to get serious about recording I need to drop a couple dollars but I dont have too much to drop. My budget is about $150, what can I say? I'm in high school. So I am looking for alternatives to getting a new interface, like getting a cheap live mixer or something along that line. The problem is that I cant find any in my price rage on craigslist or anything. If any of you have good tricks to getting around this in an inexpensive way that would be awesome!! Or if you know of a good inexpensive 8 XLR input mixer or preamp type of deal.

Thank you all!!

Hi everyone!

I am a newbie to recording and all, I have been recording with PreSonus Studio One Artist 2 and my interface is the AudioBox USB. It has 2 XLR inputs but I have been recording my band lately and we like to record live, so I have been micing my entire band with 2 mics... not getting what I want. I would really like to be able to have about 8 inputs but the deal is that I am on a very....very....very.... tight budget.

I understand that if I want to get serious about recording I need to drop a couple dollars but I dont have too much to drop. My budget is about $150, what can I say? I'm in high school. So I am looking for alternatives to getting a new interface, like getting a cheap live mixer or something along that line. The problem is that I cant find any in my price rage on craigslist or anything. If any of you have good tricks to getting around this in an inexpensive way that would be awesome!! Or if you know of a good inexpensive 8 XLR input mixer or preamp type of deal.
Thank you all!!

Do you not see the flaw in your question Geek? (or maybe you are not giving the whole picture?) .

It is entirely possible that you could pick up a s/h Tascam US 1800 interface for $150., But!
You then need 6 more mics, 6 leads, 6 stands. Now, even if you bought $50 mics and the cheapest ***t cables and stands you could find, I cannot see you bringing that in under $500?

So, you have two mics. Are they of identical model? If not buy one to match and also buy a stereo bar for the stand plus some mic holder adaptors (to raise one mic up an inch or so). Next, read up on "Co-Incident Stereo Recording" and give that a shot with the Audio box. If the band mix sounds unbalanced it is because it IS unbalanced and that is what you have been subjecting the punters to!

Dave.

I've a 1641 for sale at $100 on CL, that seems to be the low end of it around here (dallas), it has to be considerably less than a new one obviously, imo.
The problem is shipping and all that, PayPal fees....

I'd recommend looking into Guitar Center Used. (and haggle because they usually have Used at 2x what they paid, so if its $200 they probably paid $100)

I've a 1641 for sale at $100 on CL, that seems to be the low end of it around here (dallas), it has to be considerably less than a new one obviously, imo.

I'd recommend looking into Guitar Center Used. (and haggle because they usually have Used at 2x what they paid, so if its $200 they probably paid $100)

That is all fine C.C. but, we have not heard back form the OP so far but even $100 plus a cheap mic wipes him out.
Of course he can DI some of the stuff but drums will need at a minimum 3 more mics? And even DI'ing needs cables!

Dave.

That is what I sold mine to Chili for. I think shipping was like $18. Just check the box for 'Friends and Family' to avoid Paypal fees. CoolCat is cool. I'd buy from him. :)

That is what I sold mine to Chili for. I think shipping was like $18. Just check the box for 'Friends and Family' to avoid Paypal fees. CoolCat is cool. I'd buy from him. :)

I wasnt really trying to sell it with shipping, but thanks for the thumbs up.
I might even sell it for $80 because I think I paid $80?
Or there was a trade involved too?

In the Dallas area, the craigslist is flying off the charts with posts of gear. I just placed my ad and it seems Im on the 30th page already. Must be gear dump month, or buy new gear and sell off month? Not sure what GC would offer, I'm kind of wanting one of those SCXD Fenders like Rami grabbed, all tube with the FX inside...he got some amazing sounds off that thing.

For an 8 channel though the 1641 is a really good fit. I have some odd and end mics too, probably a lot of posters do.

@ecc83

I understand that, my band members have a fair amount of stands and cords so we can practice at each house without a hassle so I am set for all of that.

And back to no response... Good luck man.
Yea I have been extremely busy this past week, I am taking some summer college courses to get ahead in school. I will most defiantly ask him!

And about $200 is my max for it all, I just need a kick mic(and stand and cable) and ill be set

That Tascam US-1641 lokks like the best deal and may be what I'll get

Or if coolcat still has his offer up
Thanks Guys!

Damn...I was in the market a few weeks back for something just like that, and I'm in Dallas. I ended up finding a used Presonus Firepod for $150 shipped...great deal, but I also had to add a Firewire port on my PC and buy a cable...oh well, I prefer Presonus conversion to Tascam anyway....still I would have snatched that up if I had known.

Back