Tascam DL-2000 comp worth having? How about other Tascam units?

expatguy

I sometimes come across older (70's is my guess) Tascam rack units on local auctions. There's a Tascam DL-2000 stereo compressor on sale right now. Is anyone familiar with this unit? Is it worth getting if it goes cheap? What better known maker's equipment would you compare it to?

Any information/opinions about other Tascam rack equipment would be appreciated.

Last edited:
well, i don't know anything about 70's tascam gear but when it is thirty years old and in good working condition and you can get it cheap : go for it!!!
even if it isn't up to par with 21'st century audio technology it will at least sound ... well, seventies!! :)

mayby it can add that 'vintage' 'analog' 'warm' 'organic' sound to your recordings that seems to have become the holy grail of digital recording.

on the other hand maybe it's all hiss and sounds like shit

:D

there's only one way to find out right?

faderbug said:
well, i don't know anything about 70's tascam gear but when it is thirty years old and in good working condition and you can get it cheap : go for it!!!
even if it isn't up to par with 21'st century audio technology it will at least sound ... well, seventies!! :)

Maybe I should think twice. When something sounds 70's, it reminds me of high school. :rolleyes:

mayby it can add that 'vintage' 'analog' 'warm' 'organic' sound to your recordings that seems to have become the holy grail of digital recording.

on the other hand maybe it's all hiss and sounds like shit

:D

there's only one way to find out right?

Yeah, if it's dirt cheap (another "organic" aspect that I am fond of) it's worth a gamble. And if it's all hiss and sounds like shit, I can try to peddle it off to as vintage equipment instead of just old junk. (Ahh, the beauty of semantics.) With that in mind, I'm willing to bid the equivalent of 35 dollars.

Still, the holy grail! Yes, that's what I want! I'm hoping someone will tell me that the Tascam DL-2000 is Japan's best kept secret, the lovingly designed and faultlessly crafted compressor that beat the Urei 1176 in countless blind tests, the one piece of equipment that Sir George Martin would grab if it were the only thing he could save from a burning studio. (Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?) If so, I'm willing to bid all the way up to 50. ;)

Anyway, if I do get it, I'll be happy to let you know what it sounds like if you're interested. At least compared to the only compressor I've had until now, a Yamaha GC2020BII. If ever there was a standard for hiss-in-a-box, that would be it.

Back