Tascam CRW700 CD recorder

mutt

Has anyone had any experience or heard anything about the Tascam CRW700 CD recorder?
The Tascam site specs list the different media types as CDR, CDRW, etc. but in the different catalogs the info states that it uses "audio-format CD-R's". Questions:
1. Would the CRW700 be what I need to master CD's from a digital 4 track? (I could use the SPDIF connections to be digital)
2. Can it store data (for a backup of your Cakewalk files) as well as audio?
3. Any info or opinions on it's quality and usability compared to other stand alone cd recorders?

and finally:
It don't understand all of the different types of blank CD's listed in catalogs. I see -
recordable CD - $3
DA audio CDR - $7
PRO CDR 74 - $11
RW - $30
write once - $8

which type would I use for the CRW700 to make a stereo CD from the 4 track - or could I use more than just one type??
(I'm SO confused!!)

mutt

At those prices, I'd burn those catalogs!
The TASCAM writes to all of those. I use the $1 Maxell CDRs and the $2 no-name CDRWs.
Both work well in the CDRW5000 and I suspect they will as well in the CRW700.
No data file support AFAIK.

I agree with Drstal.....those catalogs are a rip. I buy my verbatim cdr's at Sam's club for 19.95 a twenty pack, and that's including the jewel cases. Haven't had any problems with them on my CDRW5000 either. By the way, there are some Tascam CD recorders that will only use "consumer" discs. These are more expensive because there is a royalty fee included in the price. Make sure the CDR700 isn't one of them before you purchase it.

[This message has been edited by lkmuller (edited 04-09-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lkmuller:
I agree with Drstal.....those catalogs are a rip. I buy my verbatim cdr's at Sam's club for 19.95 a twenty pack, and that's including the jewel cases. Haven't had any problems with them on my CDRW5000 either. By the way, there are some Tascam CD recorders that will only use "consumer" discs. These are more expensive because there is a royalty fee included in the price. Make sure the CDR700 isn't one of them before you purchase it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually ,the CRW700 is sold to be usable only with consumer discs ,however I went to check one out before I knew anything about pro vs. consumer discs , AND the friendly salesperson was kind enough to tell me how I could use both kinds of discs with the CRW700 by going through a little sequence with the buttons. It bypasses the SCMS. IT's pretty cool and it saves alot of money on discs.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lkmuller:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually ,the CRW700 is sold to be usable only with consumer discs ,however I went to check one out before I knew anything about pro vs. consumer discs , AND the friendly salesperson was kind enough to tell me how I could use both kinds of discs with the CRW700 by going through a little sequence with the buttons. It bypasses the SCMS. IT's pretty cool and it saves alot of money on discs.

To drstawl:
Does the 5000 do the digital data for backup thing?

if not -
To hipnoses:
Culd you share the secret button sequence to using regular discs? If the 500 does not save data for backups, I think the 700 is the way I'm going to go.

Thanks for any help-

The CDRW 5000 has S/PDIF outs in both coax and optical flavors as well as digital inputs in S/PDIF coax and optical plus AES/EBU.
The sequence of buttons to press should be pretty easy. The 5000 also has a user selectable switch for consumer or pro format.
Long Live the Monkey Method!

Hey Mutt-
IF you go with the CDRW70 here's how to get around the SCMS.
1-plug it in, don't turn it on yet
2-press stop, play, and pause at the same time for five seconds until the display changes
3-press the finalize key for 15 seconds or until display reads SCMS=on
4- turn jog wheel until display reads SCMS=off
5-press finalize again
6- press stop
thats it ---- someone told me you have to do this sequence everytime the unit is unplugged , but I've never had to do it again since I bought mine --- good luck

The newer versions of the CDRW700 don't have SCMS. I found that out on the Tascam site.
I have a Harman Kardon CD recorder and use Nashua brand discs from Staples. They cost me $15 for a ten pack w/jewel cases, and $40 for 50 on a spindle. And royalties? You pay them on EVERY cassette you buy (but that's another dumb issue entirely). But at those prices?! I'll pay!

Back