TASCAM 1800 vs M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8r

Dicus

Enthusiastic Member
I'm looking for an interace with more input channels to replace my M-Audio Fast Track Pro and found both the TASCAM and the M-Audio used for about 250 euros online. Is one of the two noteworthy better then the other, doesn't it matter, should I go for none of the two, should I keep saving money to start of with something more serious? Any advice would be very welcome!

The Tascam has all the XLRs on the front panel, might be more useful if you ever went for a rack?

I have always had good results from M-A gear 2496 and FTPro but the 1800 WAS the top dog for an affordable multitrack AI. The new one, the 16-08 seems to be fine?

Word of caution? Check that whichever interface you get has Win 10 drivers. Both are knocking on a bitnow and often a new model signals the end of new OS support.....MIND YOU! Windows 10 looks to be so bloody intrusive in its data mining and possible sniffing of your system and turning off any software IT considers illegal, that it is going to be a very long time before I ditch W7!

Dave.

I can't say much about the M-Audio, but the 1800 works rather well. The 1800 was replaced with the US16, same guts but they removed the SPDIF and doubled up on the outputs. I think you should have no issues with drivers.

Thanks dudes, I'll probably stick to W7 the coming time, no good experience to . David, why do you use the M-Audio 192 next to your Tascam? And what would I use SPDIF for? I have it on my Fast Track Pro, but never used it...

How with the Latency? I never had any trouble with the M-Audio Fast Track Pro on my Macbook Air, could that be any different with the Tascam 1800 or Audio Fast Track Ultra?

Thanks dudes, I'll probably stick to W7 the coming time, no good experience to . David, why do you use the M-Audio 192 next to your Tascam? And what would I use SPDIF for? I have it on my Fast Track Pro, but never used it...

How with the Latency? I never had any trouble with the M-Audio Fast Track Pro on my Macbook Air, could that be any different with the Tascam 1800 or Audio Fast Track Ultra?

I used the 192 for awhile, then purchased the Tascam for field recording. I still have the 192, just don't use it any longer.

SPDIF you could use for Pre-Amps with SPDIF out (Which I have purchased and use), or CD player or any other machine that uses SPIDIF for interfacing. It is a digital connection.

Latency, I have not had any problems, but for live tracking I don't need to monitor wet (with plug ins). when I am recording myself, I have not had issues.

Back