Tannoy Passive Relveals vs. Tannoy Active Reveals - bass response

Menathor

Hey all. I've heard more than once that when people have compared the Tannoy Active Reveals to the Tannoy Passive Reveals with a decently powerful reference amp, the passives have much better low end response and are "punchier" at equivalent volumes. I've heard this opinion from peple who have used various amps with their monitors, so it isn't a case of the amp colouring the sound. Any opinions/experiences?

Raj

Maybe I dont know any better, but I love my reveal actives. The glowing blue lights....Thats worth the price of the speaks right there.

Yeah, blue lights rock!! Especially at night with the lights off in the studio. Am I the only one who has sat there and tried to get every light and vu meter he has working at the same time in the dark? :p

Raj

I have only listened to the Actives and I didn't find the lack of bass a problem. But I didn't really like them anyway (and I had really hoped I would). There was something strange going on around the crossover frequency that I don't think I could get used to. On the other hand the Behringers were much worse, I could never live with that top, or bottom end! I just can't accept the idea of buying monitors I can hear apparent flaws in after just ten minutes of auditioning. (I still hope there was a manufacturing flaw in the tannoys I auditioned, so I'm gonna listen to a few more some day.) The monitors I have listened to so far that I could accept are all around $2000, and that sucks!

Well, the search goes on! :)

ps. Do listen to them! I find people very seldom agree on whats acceptable in a monitor! (Or in foreign policy as we have seen in the Dragon Cave! :D)

I've heard the Tannoy actives. Good monitors. I get wary over moniotrs that have alot of punch or color. There are so many different sounding monitors out there. The key is to get the ones that translate the best, not the ones that sound the best in the studio. Of course, those have thier place too, like for impressing the client.

Back