Tampa Output Meter working correctly?

dickiefunk

Hi. I just bought a M-Audio Tampa 2nd hand and have just tried it out. I really like it's sound on vocals so far!
One thing I did notice is the output meter hardly moves :confused: I have an M-Audio DMP3 already and the meters on this appear to be much more sensitive? I had the Tampa working with a female vocalist and I had the +20dB switch on and had the gain up to 1 o'clock. With this setting the meter was going up to -10dB. On the DMP3 the meter was going above 0-dB!

Does anyone have both these pres and is this normal :confused:

Yup, you're not imagining things. I noticed the same thing. So here's why;

Tampa's VU is calibrated to 0VU +26dBu

DMP3's VU's are calibrated to 0VU +12dBv

To put them on the same paying field, 12dBv = 14.2 dBu. So, the DMP3's VU meters are nearly twice as sensitive as the Tampa's. Why? Well, the Tampa has a much higher maximum output level, a whopping +30 dBu. The Dmp3 specs a respectable max output of +22dBv, which converts to 24.2dBu.
So, these meters are not calibrated against the +4dBu quasi pro standard, or the -10dBv quasi consumer standard, but are more to indicate where the safe operating area is for it's circuitry leaving adequate headroom. The DMP3 leaves 10dBv of headroom, the Tampa leaves only 4dBu, not that anyone is going to be hitting their D/A with +26dBu! I would have prefered they had set the Tampa's meter to be more sensitive. Be aware that the 20dB output pad on the Tampa is after the meter, so you won't see it affect the meter. Glad you like your new Tampa, I agree it's a winner on vocals.

Thanks for the reply! Very helpful stuff. . I'll do plenty of experimenting with this! I'm really looking forward to spending a lot more time with this preamp!

Back