Talk Box........

Revone

Im sure allmost everysingle guitar player knows what these are, Im trying to find a way to make a talk box for my keyboard ...you hear it in allot of r&b / hiphop funk songs back in the day like Roger Trautman was the best talkboxer in his time... too bad he isn't here today, anyways he had one that hooked up to his keyboard then a tube went to his mouth, when he pressed a key he could control it with his mouth, just like if a guitar player strings a chord or whatever he can control it with his pad.. kinda like the wah-wah pad...

trying to find like blueprints on how to make one but its impossible.

grrr

Why not just buy one? They aren't that expensive.
All you need to make one is a small amplifier, a horn driver and a tube. The hardest part is adapting the tube to the horn driver - you need something like an inverted funnel. I've seen guys just take an old Pignose amp and glue a funnel over the speaker. I'm sure there are plans out there somewhere - the main considerations will be the SPL and frequency response of the speaker or driver you use (you'll need a bigger range for keys tha you do for guitar).

DigitMus said:
Why not just buy one? They aren't that expensive.
All you need to make one is a small amplifier, a horn driver and a tube. The hardest part is adapting the tube to the horn driver - you need something like an inverted funnel. I've seen guys just take an old Pignose amp and glue a funnel over the speaker. I'm sure there are plans out there somewhere - the main considerations will be the SPL and frequency response of the speaker or driver you use (you'll need a bigger range for keys tha you do for guitar).

I don't think you can buy one for a keyboard setup can you?

Also i heard they are really hard to keep in good condition.... anyways its not like im FIENDING for one, but im gonna look into it in the near future most definetly.

thanks for your input

It is the same in every respect if you get a talkbox that is based on the original Heil one. THe new ones with mic inputs and all that stuff will probably work too, though I haven't ever used one. I just build them instead of buy them. It isn't very difficult at all. Do a google search on a building a talkbox and you will find tons of good sites. The horn-driver is the hardest thing to come by. I would probably order it from mouser or see if Crown or EV would sell you one. Remember not to get a piezo horn driver, they don't offer enough volume and are not so good for the amp that is driving that speaker. Once you understand the concept of a talkbox, you can build it quite easily. Joe Walsh was probably hammered one night and said "I want a speaker in my mouth." Hence talkbox....

--MIKE

Thanks for the sound advice (no pun intended)

Thankyou for that, I almost ordered a Piezo horn driver til I read your comments.
What type of horn driver do I need to look out for please?

Thanks
Gary

Back