Sytek MPX-4Aii--in need of mic pre for 4 inputs

I use a sytek and I think it is fairly decent. Pretty much coloress and quiet. It also seems to react really well with transients and find it useful for preserving the sound of sticks hitting drums, pick hitting acoustic guitar strings, i.e it is great if you want to keep transients clear and present. I also find it nice for preserving accurate room sounds. It does have clean quiet gain when used in conjunctionn with ribbons although I have other preamps that can have their impedance levels switched which seem to work better with ribbons, I won't hesitate to reach for the sytek however. I also think it's great each channel has mute and phase switches. I think it's a good pre at around $200 a channel although you could buy one really decent channel for the around the same price.

p.s. I find more use for it for mobile recording because it's four channels per box and it's 1 rack unit making it is easy to lug around and doesn't ruin the sound of anything.

leddy said:
I wonder how easy it would be to swap out the BB in my SP828.

It might be kinda' tough; since the sp is a fairly recent piece of gear, I would assume it would be all surface mount. Much easier surgery if you have something a little older.

Back