Symetrix 528 vs 528E

freshmattyp

I saw in an earlier thread that the 528 was recommended as a channel strip, but the E version was not. What's the difference?

The E version uses an inferior preamp chip (ssm2017), as opposed to the cleaner, better-performing one in the 528 (ssm2015 -- discontinued).

In the simpler designs like the symetrx, the amplifier chip plays a huge role in the way it performs.

hey chess, could you tell how much the quality is reduced by the new chip compared to the one of the old 528? is it like 20% or more like 50% or 60%?

Since you're talking about subjective performance, there really isn't a way of giving it a percentage rating. :D

But I do know that the high frequency distortion figures are noticeably higher on the 2017 chips -- hence it's inferior reputation. That's actually pretty measurable, but I don't have access to the specs.

If you're not mic'ing anything with a lot of higher frequency content -- cymbals, hi-hats, hand percussion, etc. -- then you needn't worry about it.

Symetrix call the 528E a "Voice Processor" which could be interpreted in a way that agrees with Chess's summation.

This then begs the question..........how do these pre's rate as vocal channel strip and how do they compare to others in that range like the Envoice for example.

:cool:

<<Symetrix call the 528E a "Voice Processor" which could be interpreted in a way that agrees with Chess's summation.>>

FWIW, Symetrix called the original 528 a "voice processor" as well.

i picked up a used 528 (not E) about a week ago (got it right before the weekend). i've only had about three hours to "twist the knobs", but i can tell you that i was immediately blown away by its sound with my RE38. i've used it both as an insert (from a sub insert from my wackie at band practice the other night) and as a channel strip over the weekend.

granted, my "vocal channel" prior to that was a VTB1->RNC, and i can't compare it to the other things in its class (and what would that "class" be? $150-200 (used price)?), since i haven't gotten my paws wrapped around any of em to compare. this is one of those "it's my first one of these and it kicks ass" posts, but at least i'm honest about it. :p

all i know is that for a small $200 investment (less than the price of a VTB1 and RNC, mind you), my vocal recordings have made a tremendous step forward over what they were. now if i could only sing.....

wade

It's a professional piece of equipment. It's been very popular in the broadcast and voiceover industry for decades.

They could use a little more headroom for micing louder sources, but it really is a pretty rare steal when you consider what it goes for used and what you're getting for it. The EQ is really pretty good, as is the compressor and the de-esser. And the preamp section is a small step above something like the DMP-3 or similar; ample power supply and no walwarts. Not quite in to Sytek territory, but it can hang with good pres without embarassing itself.

I use one for kick and another for snare, because I always EQ those rather generously on the way in. I like the convenience of having everything I need right on the strip rather than having to patch around to a bunch of different processors. I'm kinda' lazy that way.

thx for the info! i'm thinking about buying a sytek, but i don't have the money right now, which is a shame because the dollar exchange rate is very good for us european people at the moment... i keep my eyes open for a symetrix on ebay :)

Symetrix 528 voice processor

I'm a professional voice actor and am currently using a Neumann U47 fet mic, ProTools LE (M Box) along with a Universal Audio 710 Tube/Solid State combo amp. I bought the UA 710 because of the tube feature, as I like the warm feel it brings to my sessions. However, I've been hearing a lot about the Symetrix 528 voice processor (channel strip) and how impressive it is. ProTools offers compression, EQ, limiter, etc within its software. I'd like to know if I replace my UA 710 with the Symetrix: Will I get a noticeably improved quality of sound, clarity, EQ, etc?

I'm a professional voice actor and am currently using a Neumann U47 fet mic, ProTools LE (M Box) along with a Universal Audio 710 Tube/Solid State combo amp. I bought the UA 710 because of the tube feature, as I like the warm feel it brings to my sessions. However, I've been hearing a lot about the Symetrix 528 voice processor (channel strip) and how impressive it is. ProTools offers compression, EQ, limiter, etc within its software. I'd like to know if I replace my UA 710 with the Symetrix: Will I get a noticeably improved quality of sound, clarity, EQ, etc?

who's that trip trapping on my bridge?

Back