Summit Tube Pre

virtualvisions

Euphonix rocks
Hey guys, trying to search for something so general was chaotic, I got nowhere so resist the urge to flame me for asking something I'm sure has been asked before :):)

So I'm taking apart a summit tube preamp (can't remember what model right now), because the tubes are busted. They are 12AX7's. What is the best site to get these tubes, and would I get a better or different sound with say a 12AY7 or 12AT7?

Thanks guys

You will lose power and not gain anything by using those other tubes. You can get em lotsa places, Tube Depot, Tube Store, Parts Express, Ebay....... Type 12 ax7 in your google and check it out

I see that the price ranges between tubes can go from $5 to $400. Is there a tube out there that is known to be good but around the range of $50-60? $400 is way too expensive, especially since this summit needs 3 tubes, but I'd rather not convert this pre to a noise generator either...

there are numerous ones-- sometimes you can find Valvo, Siemens, Adzam/Mazda, Bugleboy, Amperex, Phillips, RCA, Mullard even Telefunken, and other good NOS tubes for around $50-60. Make sure they're fully tested for strength, leaks, short, etc.
There are some decent newer tubes too, EI, JJ, new Mullard reissues, among others.

Hey guys, trying to search for something so general was chaotic, I got nowhere so resist the urge to flame me for asking something I'm sure has been asked before :):)

So I'm taking apart a summit tube preamp (can't remember what model right now), because the tubes are busted. They are 12AX7's. What is the best site to get these tubes, and would I get a better or different sound with say a 12AY7 or 12AT7?

Thanks guys

If you want to swap triodes, consider using a 5751 which has less gain than the 12AX7 and tends to clean things up a bit. But keep in mind that Summit doesn't usually run high plate voltages in its boxes, so you are not likely to hear any notable audible differences.

I would go to someone who actually measures the tube for noise.

A 5751 would be a good choice to get a little less noise, but it might not.

Try Mike at KCA.

Try a few tubes, I would use a short plate 12AX7, they are known for being quieter and less gainy which is more of how it works in the circuit than actual measureable gain. All 12AX7's are supposed to be 100.

I like EH 12AX7's for my amps because of that. I get the tone from the amp's that I build and don't rely on the inconsistencies of tubes.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Would the mullard tube on the cascade mics website be any good?

The tube characteristics are simply not going to be that noticible on a unit using low plate voltage and a transformerless design. Having a Mullard might sound appealling, but will accomplish little on the sonic level over the long run. IMO, you'd be better off putting the Mullard in the V1 stage of an all tube guitar amp, than a Summit or Art box.

Even cooler than the CS3000? :D

Well, I've actually never worked on one, just the CS2000 so I wouldn't know...

Sound125, so basically any decent tube would work? I'm really just looking for a good tube with low noise, that doesn't cost a whole lot more than around $50 per tube.

I had a two channel Summit tube pre (TPA-200B?). The main problem I had with it was that it was too dark and a bit noisy. I checked the Tube Store and Tube Depot websites and per the various recommendations, for noise and for frequency response, I replaced them with the Electro Harmonix 12AX7A's. They are quieter than the other low noise tubes and they have a better extended high end. They were the top choice for high end preamp/stereo use. They got the muddiness out of the pre and brought the noise level down noticeably. My recommendation for new tubes. The 5751's are a good choice if you want less gain and better frequency response, but unless you are overloading the tube, there's no reason to change from the 12AX7 tube.

Sound125, so basically any decent tube would work?

Yes, any decent 12AX7 or close variant will work, provided it has no shorts or leakage and both sections test good for mutual conductance.

I'm really just looking for a good tube with low noise, that doesn't cost a whole lot more than around $50 per tube.

A GE JAN or Five Star 5751 is what I would use. Or an NOS 7025.

Back