sub $300 usb mixer suggestions

ninjabread

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a decent sub $300 usb mixer. I plan to mainly use it for live podcast shows (pulling audio in from Skype and sending it back to my computer's recording software & live stream). I'll probably also leverage it for guitar recordings and general playing around (electric and classical).

I've done a bit of research and think my short list includes the Allen & Heath ZED-10FX (1st/2nd), Behringer Xenyx X1832 (1st/2nd), and the Mackie Profx12 (3rd). I'm sort of leaning towards the Zed...

I'm looking for any sort of feedback or recommendations. Thanks!

I am a huge fan of Behringer and ive actually never had any problems with their products, they are much cheaper and for that reason they aslo feel alot cheaper but overall the quality is great. The Allen and Heath Zed is also a very good mixer my only down fall for it would be the sliders i like to actually have the sliders present but overall quality is the same. Mackie i like for their studio monitors but have never really played around with their mixers i have heard good and bad comments from them so i wouldnt 100% recommend them.
hope this helps

FERNANDO LAMP - LEVELS RECORDING/ WHATSMUSIC911.BLLOGSPOT.MX

"If You Think Im Underrated That Is Your Richest Thought"

Before you buy any of those mixers I strongly suggest you have a think about exactly how you want to route your signals and make sure they can handle what you need. Your mention of Skype calls rang alarm bells for me--are you trying to use a single computer and route the audio out to the mixer then back into the computer? Or will you have two computers?

Either way, the facilities needed to do live phone ins are surprisingly complicated, needing the ability to do "mix minus" feeds and so on. One of the biggest drawbacks of cheap mixers is the lack of routing options when you want to do any more than mix X channels down into a simple L/R pair.

The other thing to think about is whether the effects on any of these mixers are any good to you. If not, you might get more mixer for your money.

...and, as always, consider the second hand market.

big +1 to what Bobbsy said.

I plan to mainly use it for live podcast shows (pulling audio in from Skype and sending it back to my computer's recording software & live stream). I'll probably also leverage it for guitar recordings and general playing around (electric and classical).

There may be more to it but it sounds like you might be able to do this virtually (soundflower), or with an spdif loop or something.

Back