Studio Projects Vtb1 problems

new2mix

I just bought a Studio Projects VTB1 off a guy on ebay it said it did not come with the manual or box but that it included the power cord and such. I got the unit and it does not have the power cord. I have a 12V cord that I plugged in and tried. It powers up but does not work. If I move the output knob it creates a signal to the mixer otherwise it does not make any signal. Could I just have the incorrect power supply? Or did I get shafted and sold a broken piece of equipment? anybody have any experience with these or could tell me exactyl what polarity and MAs the power adapter has to be for it to work.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--STUSPPS

Selling you something that "includes the power chord" but doesn't actually include the power chord is pretty cheap. Maybe he forgot to put it in there. Maybe you got a bad one, maybe not.

What kind of mic are you using and what kind of mixer are you using?

I would guess any 12VAC adapter that fits would work with it but I don't know shit about electronics.

Something like,

Input: 120VAC 60Hz 15VA
Output: 12VAC 1.0A 12VA

This one doesn't say anything about polarity. Since it's output is AC, not DC I'm not sure that it matters.

sl

new2mix said:
I just bought a Studio Projects VTB1 off a guy on ebay it said it did not come with the manual or box but that it included the power cord and such. I got the unit and it does not have the power cord. I have a 12V cord that I plugged in and tried. It powers up but does not work. If I move the output knob it creates a signal to the mixer otherwise it does not make any signal. Could I just have the incorrect power supply? Or did I get shafted and sold a broken piece of equipment? anybody have any experience with these or could tell me exactyl what polarity and MAs the power adapter has to be for it to work.

Any 12VAC power supply will do (providing it has the amperage). Did you try it out with a mic or a line input? Was the input push switch (2nd from left) set correctly? Or in the case of a mic, was phantom (red push switch) on?

As has been said, it needs 12VAC, not DC so polarity isn't an issue. So firstly, make sure your supply has AC output, if that is OK then systematicly check all functions out.....preferably through both mic and line inputs.......see what happens AND keep an accurate record of this......it may just come in handy later on.

If you still have problems then I'd suggest you contact the seller and attempt to resolve the issue, if that doesn't work, contact Ebay. Alternatively, you could contact SP and seek their advice.

:cool:

Well to start with this is one of those deals where they say they tested the system and it appears to work but they don't have the ability to test it with audio equipment. The guy has 98% good feedback so I though I would give it a shot for 56$ plus shipping. I got it and was excited to try it out and it didn't have the power cord. I looked through my many power supplies and found a 12V adapter and plugged it in. I know it says to only use he prvided one but thats usually a sales pitch. The lights came on and I thought I was set. I plugged my EV Co4 dynamic Mic into it and made sure the line in was not selected and set the switch to monitor the input range. there was nothing. then i started playing with switches and could not get anything except when i moved the output knob rapidly then it would light up the monitor lights on my mixer. I have an Alesis Multimix 8 USB mixer. I emailed the guy about the power supply and have not heard back from him yet.

So it looks like I got screwed on this one and will just have to spend the 120$s to get one new.

Would you try this one or get another one?

new2mix said:
Well to start with this is one of those deals where they say they tested the system and it appears to work but they don't have the ability to test it with audio equipment. The guy has 98% good feedback so I though I would give it a shot for 56$ plus shipping. I got it and was excited to try it out and it didn't have the power cord. I looked through my many power supplies and found a 12V adapter and plugged it in. I know it says to only use he prvided one but thats usually a sales pitch. The lights came on and I thought I was set. I plugged my EV Co4 dynamic Mic into it and made sure the line in was not selected and set the switch to monitor the input range. there was nothing. then i started playing with switches and could not get anything except when i moved the output knob rapidly then it would light up the monitor lights on my mixer. I have an Alesis Multimix 8 USB mixer. I emailed the guy about the power supply and have not heard back from him yet.

So it looks like I got screwed on this one and will just have to spend the 120$s to get one new.

Would you try this one or get another one?

If he does not respond to you I would file a complaint with eBay. Did you use PayPal to pay for it? If so, I would file there too; they should get your money back to you.

Did you already give him "feedback"? If you haven't, I would not give him anything until you have more information about the issue. Of course if he ends up being a REAL jerk about it, I would definitely give him negative feedback.

I bought something off Ebay several years ago and the person said that it worked with Windows. After I got the unit I found out I needed a card that had not been manufactured for over ten years for it to be compatible. I tried to contact the seller and they did not give a rip about me, so I filed a complaint to Ebay/PayPal. I got my money back and I sent the item back to the seller. I gave them negative feedback and they gave me negative feedback.

I understand your frustration.

Two things, sometime units say only to use their powersupply because they have certain quality standards set for the power that is required. It is not always a sales pitch. I can pretty much assure you that these companies are not hinging their profitability on their customer's willingness to buy wall warts from them

Second, I would contact the guys at PMI Audio through the forum on their website. I have owned a handful of their products and they have always been great assistance when I have needed help.

You may be able to get them to fix it up for a nominal fee.

I gave you a hint in the last sentence in my post ;) .

Studio Projects have customer support that is exceptional and while you have purchased this s/hand, there's every chance they will do as much as they reasonably can to help you out. I presume you're in the US so use their toll free number that's listed on their website.

Just adding to what jdier said............you could post on PMI's forum but you would get a much faster answer by contacting them direct as the forum is fairly quiet.

ausrock said:
I gave you a hint in the last sentence in my post ;) .

Studio Projects have customer support that is exceptional and while you have purchased this s/hand, there's every chance they will do as much as they reasonably can to help you out. I presume you're in the US so use their toll free number that's listed on their website.

Just adding to what jdier said............you could post on PMI's forum but you would get a much faster answer by contacting them direct as the forum is fairly quiet.

Rodes helped me out with a Mic I bought s/hand... at no charge, so it is not out of the relm that SP may too.

new2mix said:
I looked through my many power supplies and found a 12V adapter and plugged it in.
Still haven't heard you confirm that you plugged in a 12 Volt ac supply... 12 Volts DC could give you a couple lights... and not much more...

If you're reaching in to your bag of warts... most of the 12 volt units will probably be DC

jdier said:
Two things, sometime units say only to use their powersupply because they have certain quality standards set for the power that is required. It is not always a sales pitch.
As I recall, Alan from PMI said in the past that you don't need their specific power supply.

As I recall, Alan from PMI said in the past that you don't need their specific power supply.

That is true to a point. You can use any 12 volt AC adaptor but not having enough amps or milliamps will be hard on the transformer and eventually burn out the adaptor.

Ok. Here is an update. The guy from ebay finaly contacted me and said he had a death in his family and had finally returned home. He said at first that he could not find the power adapter and he would find me one that worked. Then he contacted me and said he had found the original one and would get it right out to me. hopefully this works and this system is not dead. If it is I will contact SP and see what they say.

thanks for the info guys!!!

new2mix said:
Ok. Here is an update. The guy from ebay finaly contacted me and said he had a death in his family and had finally returned home. He said at first that he could not find the power adapter and he would find me one that worked. Then he contacted me and said he had found the original one and would get it right out to me. hopefully this works and this system is not dead. If it is I will contact SP and see what they say.

thanks for the info guys!!!
It is good to know that this worked out great for you. :)

Back