Studio projects VTB1 mic pre-amp

Re: Re: Mee too mee tooooo!

Gidge said:
$76 plus shipping!

Nope it's not over yet (well maybe Chessrock is done offending people for *this* thread), but I'm not sure when the bidding on his VTB-1 is over. So untill then,

$77.50 + shipping

going twice...!

<(c;

Damn Chessrock, we didn't even know when the biddin' ended:eek: !

Oh well, I think I'm going to get a DMP-3 first :p

Other synonyms for "Hundo":

-A Benjamin

-A Franklin

-A Ben Franklin

-A C-note

-A Hundai

got more...?

-J (Out to get Dead Presidents to represent me)

No, it never ends ! ! !

More on the VTB-1 . . .

Again, I didn't find anything wrong with it, per se. It does the job -- but no better really, but no worse either than a lot of others at it's price point. There's actually a few good, workable pres in that price range, too, which is good. So anyway, when I hear people rave about them as being somehow "special," I have to assume that they are either biased, or simply haven't compared them to what I've compared them to -- which I think is the most likely scenario.

The m-audio and mindprint stuff really stand out to me, in fact. Each has something it does well. I would recommend to anyone who hasn't had the opportunity . . . please try recording an accoustic guitar or hand percussion track using your favorite small diaphragm condenser through a Mindprint DI port. As long as you don't have cotton in your ears, I think you'll see what I mean about this. I'm always on the lookout for one or two more channels of something to compliment that.

I'm picky about this stuff, and I'm always on that magical quest to find the ultimate sleeper gear. Sometimes that involves tinkering with stuff and looking for the less obvious. For example, I was lucky enought to hook up with NWSoundman not too long ago, who did some modifications on an el-cheapo Bellari RP220. I can honestly say there are applications where that thing sounds very cool. It brings something much different to the table than a starved-plate deal like the VTB1, ART Tube MP, or similar -- which I happen to like a lot on bass guitar, but not much else.

It's a sound that reminds me of old records I used to listen to through my 1977 JVC DC-Integrated Receiver (with SEA Graphic EQ) -- which still works great, by the way. Particularly when I think of the 70's drum sound -- Pink Floyd, The Band, the Eagles, etc. That, to me, is what I think of as vintage, and I just don't hear it with any of the starved plate mic pres I've played with.

So anyway, if I want an extra clean channel, I'd at least like it to be something tweakable in the same way the Bellari is. So my next project is a used Rane MS-1B I scored off ebay for $75. It's built around a very highly-regarded opamp -- the Burr Brown INA-103. And since Rane posts full schematics online, it shouldn't be too difficult to have moded in the future should I wish to upgrade the sound -- I know people in Chicago who do this sort of thing.

If I try it and it sounds like ass, then I'll dump it and get something else.

If you think this is a closed-minded attitude, then that's cool with me.

But please, by all means, question what I'm saying -- because I don't have all the answers or the purest of motives either. I'm not trying to feed some out-of-control ego . . . and I'm not trying to tackle giants . . . stir up shit for my own amusement. But if you think I am, then by all means take that in to account when I say something, as I'm sure you do anyway.

I like challenging some of the commonly-held beliefs around here, and help people to look at other possibilities and think about things from different angles; rather than simply accepting them at face value. I undertstand that's not going to be popular with a lot of people, and I think I've done a decent job of accepting that. I've certainly endured more flame fests around here over the past year or so than anyone else on this board -- including Alan. And so far, I don't harbor any ill-will towards any of them. If anything, it helps me get more honest opinions when I post stuff in the mp3 clinic, which is what I really want. :D That's my spin on it, at least.

Now THAT is a reply I would liked to have seen from chessrock in the first place in this thread!

In fact, it's funny, I find the VTB1 to be a great bass DI too, particularly in combo with DaviSound TB-3 tube compression! I would have bought the VTB1 just for that, except as I said, my money is better placed elsewhere right now.

The Rane MS1B uses a INA 163 chip that is a low cost audio grade
amp and costs about a fifth of the INA 103 (per RAP).

There is a "review" at www.electronmajority.com that goes over the circuit design. It's been pointed out by the author and the AE's at RAP that if you run the pre without phantom power the electrolytic capicitors can oxidize due to the design like Mackie pre's. If you don't mind the risk of a faulty cable, you can run dynamic microphones through it to avoid this.
Almost bought that pre on e-bay to play around with it.

Chris

P.S. Chessrock, now I know your name!
(Will add you to my "Mixerman collection") :)

Wasn't the INA 103 discontinued? That's been the rumor I hear.

I see you've been spending some time browsing around the RAP archives -- something more of us should be doing a lot more often.

Anyway, I've also heard some buzz regarding poor RF rejection, and the bass starts rolling off @ about 50 hz . . . which is fine with me -- this wouldn't be something I'd be using on kick drum or bass, anyway.

I have an acquaintance who does good work who's anxious to see what he can do with it. Perhaps if I can find a 103 chip anywhere, I should include that on the list. Should be interesting.

Not sure on the INA 103.

If there's a way to mod the MS1B safely, you may want to take the phantom power out, and stick something like mylar caps in instead. Then it's supposed to sound much cleaner with dynamic microphones. Was tempted to try it as a learning DIY experience,
however, once the safety concerns became apparent it seemed like a PITA. When my business slows down during the holidays,
I may make a mic pre from the "ground up" for fun BTW.
Will name it the "Joe Geek"! (just kidding Alan)

Chris

I just bought this mic pre-amp the other day and i'm quite impressed with it. It has a really warm, natural sound. I recommend it. Anyone else own one here?

I have one also. I run mine thru a Sure X2U digital output for sub connection. I am using a Rodes NT1-A mic and getting pretty good results with it. I'm using this for recording audio books for ACX. Just start out,
I'm a newby.

I have one also. I run mine thru a Sure X2U digital output for sub connection. I am using a Rodes NT1-A mic and getting pretty good results with it. I'm using this for recording audio books for ACX. Just start out,
I'm a newby.

Gee I did not know they had been around this long? You answered a thread from 2003? 13 years ago, for the record I have 4 VTB-1's and love them.

holy thread resurrection.jpg

Back