studio projects vtb-1 vs. art project series

The Flame

hey guys, i am on a budget, i am willing to spend $100 tops for a mic pre/di. i am looking into the ones that have tubes. i understand that i will not really be getting any great tube or tube sound from a $100 mic pre, but i just want something mainly to warm up bass when used as a DI and some help on the vocals will be cool. this is a home studio so i dont need anything fancy, and because of my budget i want to make the most of my money. so right now its between art project series and project studios vtb 1. thanks alot guys.
Flame

I have a pair of VTB-1s haven't used them for bass but would love to try one of them out on bass. Not sure it will be all that "better" then your firepod's pres, but it WILL be somewhat different if you drive the tube blend hard. For cheap pres it seems the DMP3 or VTB-1 are mentioned much more then the cheap ARTs.

Hi,
I have a SP Vbt1 never put bass through it as yet, but like the
sounds i get live using it as a DI with an acoustic guitar.
Main use is as a mic pre for harmonica i can get some mean harp sounds without having to crank up my amp.The tube blend thing is cool for those applications.
The unit is handy to use live and at home.Has no noise problems and does the job without costing a lot.
Although in Australia they retail for around $300-400 Aus dollars.So i got mine from US cost me 200 AUD after exchange rate and shipping.
My experience with ART gear is not positive so far.
A mate of mine brought himself a Behringer MIC 200 and got to admit sounds good as a DI for his acoustic.One thing i noticed was there was lots of second hand ART little tube pres for sale on ebay,but not many VBT1 thats when i was looking several moths back.

In that range, either is going to be a nice little step up from an older Mackie board or something like that.

The electro-harmonics preamps are nice, but definitely have that tube sound all the time.

What I know but don't know

OK. I haven't had any experience with either, but just distilling for you what I have read ad nauseum here. The VTB-1 would be the preferred mic pre, but the ART would get the nod as the bass DI. Since you wisely realize the limitations of your budget and your needs, I would say either will probably be OK for what your doing. That being said, which is more important to you right now? Which are you most dissatisfied with at the moment? If you're willing to buy used, you could definately get both for that amount of money.

Good luck and have fun.

Personally the VTB1 would be my overall choice. It uses better opamps. The ART is a nice bass DI though. I can't say I've used the VTB1 as a bass DI, so I can't help you there.

I've used them both for bass DI.

ART: Relatively clean to absolute grit aggression settings are possible when cranked.
VTB1: Very clean. Cranking the tube control gives a 'hazy' sound that does not distort.

The 'tube' sound for both of these units, when cranked, is very, very different. Both have good headroom.

Basically, pick the one that matches the style of music you will record.
Together, they are 150$. Lots of DI versatility for 150$...i use them both all the time depending on the song...

I've got 2 VTB1s and have used them for bass, vox, acoustic, both hi and low impedance. Can't give ya a comparison, as I've never used the ART, but the SP has done everything I've asked of it. I've tried overdriving the input stage a fuzz and cranking the toob, definitely adds a bit of character and rough. The VTB1s have convinced me to bypass the Mackie VLZ, if that helps any... ;)

Eric

Back