Strange problem with Focusrite Trakmater Pro

Snowyp

Hello everyone,
I hope this is correct place to ask what I am about to ask, I tried searching if anyone is having the same problem but I guess I was out of luck.

Recently, I purchased Focusrite Trakmater Pro and have been using it without noticeable problem for awhile. Come to think about it, there could have been problem all along and I just didn't know the difference between the "wrong sound" and the "right sound" at first. So this is the story:

The channel strip is mainly for my condenser microphone; I don't like adding anything when I record so most of the features are usually off and even the pre-amp volume usually stays the same. So that being said, my knobs usually remain at the exact same spot, they don't move too much; problem should not, and cannot be from the setting difference. The problem seems to occur without any particular reason and happens almost arbitrarily.

Quite often, when I turn either phantom power or power for the channel strip off and turn them on again, the sound becomes extremely flat, also dropping the volume significantly; I would assume at least 10dbs. And whenever I make loud airy sound such as "Ha" sound or any sound with loud hiss (I shouldn't even say loud, I think "not quiet" would fit better) the channel strip seems to almost amplify that particular airy sound and will start clipping. This is what I call the "wrong sound".

However, with the exact same setting, when I turn the channel strip or phantom power off and turn it back on, the problem will disappear and starts generating perfectly normal sound. To "fix" the problem, I usually have to fiddle around with knobs and switches for awhile, turn it off and on couple of times to make it work. When it starts making the "right sound" as long as I don't turn the phantom power or the channel strip power off, it will maintain its "normal" status until I do so. Sometimes it takes turning the knobs, switching effects such as compression, equalizer and others on and off, and sometimes all it takes is turning the phantom power off and turning it back on. If that doesn't work, I would try turing everything off, disconnect the microphone and wait couple of minutes. Even this procedure will not fix the problem most of the time. Again, the problem seems to happen almost completely arbitrarily and what fixed the problem before wouldn't work the next day. I would usually have to turn phantom power on and off, and the power switch on and off at least 5~10 times to get it working.

I highly doubt that the microphone is the problem since I tested with another mixer that has phantom power and it didn't seem to have any problem.

Other than the problem I just described, the channel strip seems to work flawlessly. No problem with equalizer, compression, make up gain, HPF, Lo Z and the volume control all works well. These will even work when the channel strip is making the "wrong sound". But of course it will apply compression, gain or eq to that flat, weird, quiet sound.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Back