Still can't decide on and interface

chestwick91

Some of you may have helped me with recent posts about this, so if your reading this then please chime in. I am looking for a firewire interface…with at least 8 channels of simultaneous audio…I was looking at the 8 pre…I like everything about the 8 pre, but I really hate that there are no analog outputs…So my question is this. I cant seem to find a quality adapt converter for under 500…the only one I found was the alesis AI3 and that is no longer made…the only outboard gear that I need is a compressor and in the future, an effects processor. I have a spdif and rca analogs on my m-audio 2496 card, so I don’t need those inputs, but I need trs for send and return effects. If I got say a e-mu 1212 can I use those 4 trs outputs for send and return effects? I just can’t afford an ad/da convert at this time….please help all help is need and every option will be considered
thanks

I hear there are alot of problems with the firepod, so i am turned off with it....and i also hear the same about the focusrite stuff, since they got a little cheaper...where they bought by digidesgin?

chestwick91 said:
I hear there are alot of problems with the firepod, so i am turned off with it....and i also hear the same about the focusrite stuff, since they got a little cheaper...where they bought by digidesgin?

What kind of problems. I know a few people with Firepods and they haven't had any problems.

Focusrite was distributed by Digi for a while, but not anymore. They were never owned by Digi.

Raw-Tracks said:
What kind of problems. I know a few people with Firepods and they haven't had any problems.

Yeah, you have to take any online messageboard comments with a grain of salt. I believe that many times users have set up the equipment improperly or have tried to use it with a computer or OS that is not 100% compatible.

For example, I recently bought a Presonus FireBox, even though I've read a number of messageboard comments about it having compatibility issues and various other things. It's been absolutely flawless so far, I couldn't be happier with it.

That Audiofire12 looks good! I was seriously looking at an Echo firewire unit, but the FireBox has some features I need that aren't on the Audiofire2.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I use a Frontier Designs Tango24 along with my Digi 002R. One of those would be plenty good with the 8pre or any other firewire interface with ADAT I/O. It's no longer made, so you'd have to buy it used, like the Alesis AI-3.

If you are using the ADAT unit for auxilary sends, I don't think you need to get quite as picky as if it were the main converters. I know that sounds like something wrong to say, but I do think you could get away with a little bit of a slightly lesser unit on the sends.

I would go for the Pod as well in that price range. I use the firebox, have been for about 1 1/2 years how, absolutely no problems with it. I dropped mine once, I though it would be toast after that, but still works fine.

chestwick91 said:
Yeah, i agree...it looks cool but all those tubs in one unit seems like a fire waiting to happen

So... yer sayin' they got the name right? Looking at it... it makes ya wonder... I see NO ventilation to the thing. Of course, I don't think it says what tubes are in it either.

Just thought is was an interesting options. I'm still curious to hear it.

no i agree. i think if the things works, i see it as a expansion in the future...Just something like that i see no way getting unless i know someone with it and hear how good it works...I have an mpa gold and the stock tubes are crap...but its a great pre for the price. As far as the tubes...I bet their 12 Ax7s and i really don't think that there are 8 tubes in it either, but nowbody will tell me how many...i should call them

Look closely at the logo on the left rack wing... that explains it perfectly... no really, look...

Back