Step Right This Way and Lend Me Your Ears Please!

famous beagle

This is a spin-off thread from another entitled "Opinions on Compressors Please?"

https://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/rack/opinions-compressor-please-369171/

In that thread, I mentioned I was in the process of modifying my DBX 163x compressor, and a few people expressed interest in it. Well, I've finished the mods, I've documented the whole process with pictures and step-by-step instructions, and I've recorded samples comparing a dry signal to both the modded version and the stock version. And that's what I'd like your opinion on.

There are seven different sources:
Snare
Kick
Drum Buss
Male Vocal
Acoustic
Bass
Mix Buss

For each, there are three files: Dry (w/out compression), Comp A, and Comp B. For the Comp A and B files, one will be the modded compressor, and one will be the stock. And they won't follow the same pattern for every source. In other words, for the Snare, Comp A may be stock and Comp B may be modded, but for the Kick, it may be the other way around. I'm not going to say which is which until everyone has chimed it. This is because I want to avoid any confirmation bias coming into play.

I'd really appreciate your input on this! Just tell me in each instance which you prefer and why if possible. Or let me know if you can't tell a difference, etc.

The files (wav), as well as a PDF containing step-by-step instructions with pictures, can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m0d9ynn7jdze2fc/AAAFeJhq0LjLZ-MacmtaImdha

Thanks!

Im gonna have a listen as soon as my stupid computer speeds up. My provider has slowed down my data speed for this billing period so it takes for ever to download stuff.

I'm interested because I've had a DBX 163x for eons. I used to use it for my bass DI, but have long since moved away from it. It's been collecting dust. In the future, I might incorporate it into a live bass rig or just sell it.

Listened to your samples and honestly don't hear much of a difference between the comp clips. I can hear some differences with the acoustic and the bass, but couldn't tell you which is which. The kick, the mix buss and the drum buss all sound the same to me. Old ears, I guess. There might some subtle differences in the vox, but most likely, I think I hear because I think I'm suppose to hear it. Sorry, not very helpful.

If you want another 163x, send me a PM. (Shameless plug!! ;) )

I'm interested because I've had a DBX 163x for eons. I used to use it for my bass DI, but have long since moved away from it. It's been collecting dust. In the future, I might incorporate it into a live bass rig or just sell it.

Listened to your samples and honestly don't hear much of a difference between the comp clips. I can hear some differences with the acoustic and the bass, but couldn't tell you which is which. The kick, the mix buss and the drum buss all sound the same to me. Old ears, I guess. There might some subtle differences in the vox, but most likely, I think I hear because I think I'm suppose to hear it. Sorry, not very helpful.

If you want another 163x, send me a PM. (Shameless plug!! ;) )

Thanks for the input. That's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. I'm wondering if all the people that I've heard talk about these mods "opening up" the sound and helping with the noise floor/etc. were just hearing what they wanted to hear a bit. That's why I did the blind test (I arranged a blind test for myself as well), because I didn't want anyone's expectations getting in the way.

Yeah, I can't really hear a difference at all either. Mine never seemed noisy to me at all when it was stock (nor does my other one that's still stock), so there wasn't really a noise issue to correct.

Hello
I really appreciate the dedication to this mod of this small compressor
I am reading the tutorial and I really liked it, hopefully most of the mods were like your tutorial, I have the 163A, and I love it as is, maybe buy another and you do this mod
About the differences, I do not know if it's worth the modification with these subtle differences.
Many Dbs you were compressing?
regards

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the tutorial. I'm not sure whether it's worth the effort (and cost) or not either. My settings weren't extreme.

Here are the average gain reductions for the samples:

snare: -6dB
Kick: -6dB
acoustic: -4dB
male vocal: -4dB
drum buss: -4 or 5dB
mix buss: -3dB
bass: -4 or 5dB

I know its been awhile but I found this thread first on gearslutz I think and couldn't stop reading. Anyways I myself have two Dbx 163x's Im thinking of modding,I wonder if you did all the mods say jim Williams or revive audio would do>? psu upgrade included>? anyways I agree I hear little difference in the audio files and I usually can tell a difference with shootouts I have great converters speakers ect.. the A vocal sounds more high fi to me , Ive heard the acoustic /bass/ and vocal so far and the vocal stands out the most to me. the bass a little and the acoustic iam disappointed to say I cant tell. Please keep these files up as this is a great reference though and would you consider telling us which is the modded version and which isn't? I would like to know as I really feel like I should get these modded even though I cant hear any hiss or noise out of mine but that said I feel nervous because I have a chandler tg2 preamp pretty much strapped to the dbx's and I wanna make sure im getting the highest quality. Anyways thanks again I love stuff like this, also I was wondering if you pushed the comps harder if we would hear more drastic differences. Plus an update on your part would be awesome , maybe you've changed your mind and think the mod is a huge step forward in fidelity ? never know> peace

Okay , looks like if you let homerecording sit to long it gets unhappy with you and logs you out ,!~ So I couldn't post the paragraph I wrote. After another fine beer and some listening I discovered something. The mix buss sample jump at me SHOUTING !" LISTEN YOU FOOL!" and I did, I heard it all the sweet separation the clarity the fidelity. Please tell me sample A is the mod, it must be otherwise I would never touch these things! period! its a very nice difference that I could only imagine the benefits of when stacking tracks let alone mix buss.!!!! AWESOME! Im modding mine now. I freaking love your pdf explaining mod. You are a gentlemen and a scholar! thank you. cheers bud I owe you. really its a huge difference on mix buss which leads me to believe when stacking tracks its a must.

When you log in, check the little box that says Remember Me. Then you won't get logged out.

I know its been awhile but I found this thread first on gearslutz I think and couldn't stop reading. Anyways I myself have two Dbx 163x's Im thinking of modding,I wonder if you did all the mods say jim Williams or revive audio would do>? psu upgrade included>? anyways I agree I hear little difference in the audio files and I usually can tell a difference with shootouts I have great converters speakers ect.. the A vocal sounds more high fi to me , Ive heard the acoustic /bass/ and vocal so far and the vocal stands out the most to me. the bass a little and the acoustic iam disappointed to say I cant tell. Please keep these files up as this is a great reference though and would you consider telling us which is the modded version and which isn't? I would like to know as I really feel like I should get these modded even though I cant hear any hiss or noise out of mine but that said I feel nervous because I have a chandler tg2 preamp pretty much strapped to the dbx's and I wanna make sure im getting the highest quality. Anyways thanks again I love stuff like this, also I was wondering if you pushed the comps harder if we would hear more drastic differences. Plus an update on your part would be awesome , maybe you've changed your mind and think the mod is a huge step forward in fidelity ? never know> peace

Hi there. Sorry, I didn't see this right away. I'm really glad you enjoyed the tutorial; that makes all the effort worth it. I haven't done any further mods to my DBX unit, which did not include upgrading the PSU. I still have all the parts to mod my second one, but I still haven't done it yet. I don't use them as a stereo pair, and, since I didn't hear a big enough difference, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Here is the legend as you requested.

DBX 163x Mod – File Name Legend

Snare:
A = mod
B = stock

Kick:
A = stock
B = mod

Drum Buss:
A = stock
B = mod

Male Vocal:
A = mod
B = stock

Acoustic:
A = mod
B = stock

Bass:
A = mod
B = stock

Mix Buss:
A = mod
B = stock

Good luck with your mods and let me know how it goes!

Hi Everyone, I am in the process of modding some DBX 163x and came across this thread. Sadly the links with the step-by-step and sound comparisons do not work anymore. I know it's a bit of a long shot but is there any chance of a re-up or DM with a link. Thanks MP.

Oh that is a shame but quite understandable. Thank you for letting me know and for looking. I am currently working on the upgrades and adding information to my website. My first post is a round-up of all of the mods out there. There seems to be quite a few. If anyone is interested, here is a link to my summary and interpretation of the process. It could be inaccurate though as I am still learning.

I am working on a mod that splices Jim's mod, combined with Doulos's guide (to help remove lentils), then ApronBeatz metal resistor locations. I really like Mod Defecation's guide and info about the PSU heatsinks too. I was trying to get my head round the capacitor bypass and then came across an example from audiokarma. Sometimes seeing an example like this really helps which is why I have been hoovering up guides. I plan to finish it off with a 230v UK PSU mod.

If anyone happens to come across the @famous beagle zip, please do send my way though as it will be much appreciated and @famous beagle, if at any point you open the DBX up, it would be great to take a look at the board. I really like godface9's comment about your bus sample and have to admit, I'm intrigued. Thank you so much for getting this thread started.

Oh that is a shame but quite understandable. Thank you for letting me know and for looking. I am currently working on the upgrades and adding information to my website. My first post is a round-up of all of the mods out there. There seems to be quite a few. If anyone is interested, here is a link to my summary and interpretation of the process. It could be inaccurate though as I am still learning.

I am working on a mod that splices Jim's mod, combined with Doulos's guide (to help remove lentils), then ApronBeatz metal resistor locations. I really like Mod Defecation's guide and info about the PSU heatsinks too. I was trying to get my head round the capacitor bypass and then came across an example from audiokarma. Sometimes seeing an example like this really helps which is why I have been hoovering up guides. I plan to finish it off with a 230v UK PSU mod.

If anyone happens to come across the @famous beagle zip, please do send my way though as it will be much appreciated and @famous beagle, if at any point you open the DBX up, it would be great to take a look at the board. I really like godface9's comment about your bus sample and have to admit, I'm intrigued. Thank you so much for getting this thread started.

Sounds as though you've done your research! 🙂

If I ever take the 163x out of the rack, I'll be sure to snap a shot of the board. Good luck!

Back