Spring Reverb

Chrisjob

Hello all.

I'm interested in adding a spring reverb to my rack, but don't know where to start. I can't imagine too many manufacturers are still producing them in today's digital era, but Im wishing for my tracks to have the feel of those days gone by. I'm interested in Surf, Motown-esque Soul/Pop, and even some dub reggae, all of which utilize a spring reverb to its fullest. I have a spring in my old Peavey Bandit 112, but I'm hoping a more dedicated unit would be a better tool.

I know that Danelectro and Little Lanlilei still make spring reverb guitar pedals, but I'd really like a rackable unit, or even a desktop module. Any models to suggest, or features I should be looking for? What should I watch out for if I'm buying used?

If anyone has opinions on the Dano or the Lanlilei, I'd love to hear them, and all other models welcome as well. I'd also be interested in some examples from records that you know a spring was used, so I can hear what I should be striving for.

Thanks
Chris

Fender used to make an independent spring reverb unit, they might still produce one (can't say for sure) Hope you find what you are looking for.

I have one of the Fender '63 reverb reissues. The thing is great for that surf guitar sound.

I use it either during the recording or as an insert.

Get hold of any old guitar amp case, and extract the spring reverb. You'll need to shield it. I have a Yamaha guitar amp which has one.

Plan B is to run phantom power into a slinky, and stand back!

Thanks for the replies.

Chess- I've been checking out Ebay, as well as Harmony-Central and other classifieds. But in searching for "spring reverb" I get about 500 guitar amps to 1 dedicated reverb unit. Thanks for the Orman tip. I've also found an old Furman unit that looks interesting, and some company called TBS, which claims their reverb is "vintage" but appears to be a new product.

Acid Rock- Thanks for the links. The Accuverb is a bit pricey, isn't it? But the Vermona unit looks right on, and loads of extra features. Now, my problem is finding someone in the U.S. who carries them to give me a price quote.

Thanks again, and I'm eagerly awaiting more suggestions.

-Chris

The Pioneer SR-101 is truly a great reverb with lots of boing! I got
mine on eBay for $29. It didn't need too much work, but it had a
pair of unusual tubes that I had to hunt down. There was some foam
inside the unit to help shockmount the reverb tank, which
deteriorated into sticky dust, and had to be cleaned out. Now that
that is done it's cruising pretty good. The unit is reasonably clean
sounding, but you can also drive the input hard to make it sound
more like a vintage tube amp. It takes standard RCA inputs and
outputs, and it's stereo. The newer Pioneer solidstate spring
reverbs from the early to late 70's are fun too, and they have
really cool lights on 'em.

I've used the old Orban units as well, they're a little more refined
sounding and not as radical, but still quite pleasing. They have
screws on the back for connecting spade lugs, so it's not quite
as convenient to hook up as a modern unit. Ocasionally I see
some old Tapco and newer Tubeworks units floating around on
eBay, I'm sure they're useful too. Drawmer is also making a new
spring reverb unit, and I think PAIA still has a spring reverb kit
on the market.

i have had both the tube and ss versions of the pioneer reverb. the tube was cool cause you could wire it so that all you got was wet signal (but only in mono). but the tube unit was WAY more noisy.

sold it.

and it had all sorts of rare tubes that were a pain to get.

the tapco 4400 is cool.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Tapco/4400_Rack_Reverb-01.html

i also have a "great british spring" which is fucking awesome.

if you limit your search to pro audio and search for spring reverb in titles and descriptions you should do well...

Wow, ask and you shall receive. Thanks to all who've provided tips and ideas. I've plenty of info now, and will continue my search.

I've seen the Pioneer 202, but not the 101. Is one solid state and the other tube?

Thanks again.

-Chris

Back